28 Super Simple Tricks That’ll Make Your Life Easier (Even if You Only Try One)
You want your life to be easier. But, here’s the thing: You want the process of improving your daily existence to be, well, easy.
Hey, I’m right there with you — which is why I’ve pulled together this helpful list of 28 simple (yes, simple!) ways that you can make the day to day a little more painless.
Whether you want to improve your productivity or take your stress levels down, these handy tips and tricks will make a big difference — without a ton of time and elbow grease.
If You Want to Save Time
- Create a cheat sheet for the information you commonly need, so you can just copy and paste it.
- Used canned responses to auto-fill those emails you find yourself writing time and time again.
- Stop redoing the same report week after week and instead use Microsoft Word’s “Quick Styles” to apply your formatting with the click of a button. A number of other Word hacks can help you shave some time off your workday too!
If You Want to Get More Done
- Utilize the Pomodoro Technique to instill a sense of urgency and kick your productivity into high gear.
- Block off some untouchable time in your calendar when you can forego any meetings, zone in, and keep your head down in your most important work.
- Add one (or more than one!) productivity-boosting Chrome extension that will help you power through your to-do list.
- Find your golden hours and then use that highly motivated time to crank through the most important things on your plate.
- Limit yourself to one browser tab in order to stop multitasking. Constantly switching gears isn’t doing you any favors.
- Use this extension to hide your inbox so that you can channel your entire focus on your to-do list (and then try these other helpful computer hacks too!).
- As counterintuitive as it seems, step away from your work and take a break for a few minutes. No really!
If You Want to Streamline Your Inbox
- Write specific subject lines so you can easily find old messages in your inbox.
- You know those little stars that appear next to subject lines in Gmail? Leverage them to your advantage by marking the emails that require a response. When you have a block of time, go through and respond to your starred messages.
- Use an email app to remove the headache from managing your inbox. Let technology do it for you!
- Set an OOO message even when you’re in the office so you can stay away from email and focus your attention on the things that matter.
- Use Unroll.me to pull together — and unsubscribe from, if necessary! — all of those newsletters that find their way to your inbox.
If You Want to Sleep Better
- Listen to this podcast to help you fall and stay asleep.
- Do a few yoga poses to relax your body, focus on your breathing, and decompress before an evening of restful snoozing.
- Take a hot bath or shower before bed to regulate your body temperature and tell your brain that it’s time to sleep.
- If you can’t put down your phone before bed, turn it to Night Shift mode to avoid having your screen throw off your circadian rhythms.
- Implement a bedtime routine that will help you wrap up loose ends, wind down, and sleep better.
If You Want to Plan Ahead
- Before you head to bed, make sure you do these five things to avoid that dreaded morning scramble.
- Creating your schedule for the day? Try planning it backward.
- Set a theme for each day of the workweek to keep your productive momentum high.
- Have a vacation coming up? Create a reverse countdown and use this worksheet to make sure you cover all of your bases before you leave.
If You Want to Reduce Stress
- Label optional events on your calendar so you can quickly see what needs to get done on your busy days — and what can be skipped.
- Do a repetitive task. As strange as it sounds, it can help to lower your stress levels.
- When things get overwhelming in the office, try one of these 12 simple tricks to take some time out and inject a little more happy in your day.
- Go ahead and treat yourself to a fun desk toy that you can play with in those moments of extreme stress.
Give any of these simple tricks a try? Let me know on Twitter just how much easier your life is!
Originally published at www.themuse.com on June 25, 2017.