Eight Whoppers from Trump’s Tuesday Night
Here’s what Trump got wrong on Tuesday night — and this is just from one speech!
- Trump said the Justice Department fed Clinton information about the email server investigation. We don’t know that; we only know that a Clinton staffer said “DOJ folks” told them about a public hearing.
- Trump said the U.S. murder rate is the highest it’s been in 45 years. It’s not, though the murder rate hike is at its highest point in 45 years.
- Trump said, yet again, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency endorsed him. They didn’t.
- Trump said Clinton “smeared all of our police officers as essentially racist.” She didn’t.
- Trump said Clinton wants to cut Medicare and Social Security. She doesn’t.
- Trump said Clinton wants to adopt single-payer healthcare. She’s praised the Canadian system — as has Trump — but she’s never said she wants to move to it.
- “Hillary Clinton wants to really dismantle the Second Amendment,” Trump said. She supports background checks for all gun purchases, not removing Americans’ right to bear arms.
- “She’s also gonna raise your taxes big league, we’re gonna lower your taxes,” Trump claimed. He does want to lower taxes — mostly for the wealthy — but Clinton only wants to raise taxes on the nation’s uber wealthy. Unless Trump’s crowd is filled with very successful hedge fund managers, his statement is false.