Ready to Launch?
Go through the Publication Launch Checklist one last time
Whether you’ve created a new site or migrated over your old site, you’re almost ready to go live on Medium. To cross your virtual t’s and dot your virtual i’s, here is a list of final steps to make sure you’ve done before publicly launching.
1. Publication Settings
- Upload a favicon in publication settings.
- Write a description in your publication’s about page.
- Coordinate with Medium on a time to uncloak the publication.
2. Publishing Workflow
- Add writers and editors to your publication settings. You can add them using their Medium handles or email (if they haven’t signed up for Medium yet).
- Review and share instructions on how to submit stories.
- Review best practices on writing stories.
3. Promotion Plan
- Create an announcement post.
- Select your favorite story to submit for curation consideration.
- Connect Twitter to the publication’s about page to ingest followers.
- Have social media posts and/or a newsletter ready to announce, if applicable.
4. Search Engine Optimization & Social Media Distribution
- Add your sitemap and RSS Feed to Google Search Console
- Review our best practices for SEO
- Facebook: Every writer/editor that contributes to your publication should be encouraged to connect their Medium account to their personal Facebook account. This process helps Facebook interpret metadata from Medium. In addition, your publication should list its Facebook page from Publication Settings.
- Twitter: Make sure you’ve added a Twitter account to your Publication Settings. As with Facebook, every writer/editor should also connect their account to Twitter. Again, this helps us provide complete metadata.
- Pinterest: Pinterest requires domains to be whitelisted in order for “rich pins” to function. For a domain to be enabled, you must log in to Pinterest, load the Rich Pins Validator, and enter the URL of a story without the hashcode. Here are instructions.
- Coordinate with your publisher strategist for a time to uncloak and launch the publication.
- Roll out your promotion plan.
- Congratulations, you’re live on Medium!