AP style-book exercises

by Kyra Thompson

Baseball Game

The Bay City Bluebirds rallied from a 3-run deficit last night to defeat the Carmel Cardinals 6–3 and win the Western Tri-state division championship.

The Bluebirds are now assured a place in the Tri-state playoffs which begin next week. Their opponent will be determined tonight in a game between the Santa Ana Generals and the Redwood Knights.

The Cardinals led the Bluebirds 3–0 until the eighth inning.

During the eighth inning, first baseman, Tim Story, walked and stole second base. Left fielder, Biff Carbosi, was walked intentionally. A runner moved up a base on a wild pitch by cardinal starter, Ronnie Miller. Miller was then relieved by Chuck Nelson.

Bluebird second baseman, Carbo Garbey, lined Nelson’s first pitch into deep center field, scoring both baserunners. Two pitches later, Garbey stole home to tie the game.

Nelson got the next two hitters out, but then Carey Clark, the Bluebird catcher, homered to put the Bluebirds ahead. The Bluebirds added two more runs in the ninth inning to insure their victory.

Guilty Verdict

A jury found a midville man guilty of second-degree manslaughter after an hour’s worth of deliberations on April 7.

Johnny Gene Garber was convicted at the end of a three-day trial which featured his mother testifying against him. He was charged in the death of a 39-year old brick mason, Gardner Jackson, of 12 ninth street, Jonesville.

Mr. Garber stood silently as the jury read the verdict. The presiding judge, Jonas T. McMillan, set a final hearing for April 13, 8 a.m.

Garber was charged with being drunk while driving down highway 69 last March. His car swerved out of control and ran head on into a car driven by a man who had been attending services at the Midville Baptist church.

During the trial, the prosecuting attorney, Able Sasson, called Garber’s mother, Minnie Lee Garber, to testify that her son had been drinking heavily at there home that evening before the accident occurred.

Garber could receive a sentence of two to five years in prison for the crime he committed.

Show your support

Clapping shows how much you appreciated Kyra Thompson’s story.