How to Write a Great Blog!
Successful bloggers have to keep their heads around many different aspects of the medium — but at it’s core is being able to write compelling and engaging content on a consistent basis over time. How you do this will vary from blogger to blogger to some extent as each blogger has their own style — however there are some basic principles of writing great blog content that might be worth keeping in mind.
Where To Start?
With the idea fresh in your mind you sit down at your keyboard and BANG it out — desperate to hit publish as quickly as you can for fear that someone else will beat you to the PUNCH!
As SMOKE rises from your keyboard you complete your post, quickly add a title to it and proudly hit PUBLISH!
Visions of an avalanche of visitors, incoming links and comments swirl before you.
Reality hits you like a SLAP in the face. There are few visitors, no comments and no links. It’s not a KILLER post — it’s DEAD.
This is a feeling that many writers go through which is why it is important to start with a piece which u think would capture the minds of people for a longer period of time. Instead of rushing through a post — find that if you pause at these key moments and your post rises to a new level of quality. This tends to get more traction with readers. They don’t guarantee the perfect post — but they certainly take you a step closer to a good one.
Here a few points that you can keep in mind while writing that great blogpost:
- Envision a Topic — it is very important to spend few extra time in deciding a great topic as it is the one that would lead the audience towards your post as you develop something that matters to readers.
- The Opening Line — first impressions matter the most. Once you have got someone past your post’s title, it is your opening line that captures the attention of the users and ensures that they don’t just bounce back.
- Pointify your post (make your posts matter) — nobody likes to read journals and surely your audience would rather watch a cat jump in a dumpster, than read a long essay about something. your post needs to have a point. and it would be highly interactive if you can put your words into short paras or points so that the flow of the content is highly intriguing.
- Adding Depth — before publishing your post, you should keep in mind whether yopur post has connected well with the user. If you are able to put apt depth to the content then you can ensure further traction with the end user. Ask yourself how you could add depth to it and make it even more useful and memorable to readers? Driving readers to do something helps them to apply it and helps you to make a deeper connection with them.
- Quality Control — Small mistakes often can prove to be a hindrance in ensuring popularity of your content. It can prove to be a barrier to engage with the users. Spending time fixing errors and making a post ‘look’ good can definitely take it to the next level.
- Time your post — Although many would not give much preference to it, but the fact is that timing can be everything — strategic timing of posts can ensure the right people see it at the right time.
- Promotion — Just publishing the post does not mean that you have done your part and people would come and read it. In the current paradigm there are tons of words being published every second, which is why it is always important to promote your content in order to have an extensive audience. Giving it a few strategic ‘nudges’ can increase the exposure it gets exponentially.
- Conversation — Always ensure that you interact with your audience. this leads to a more deeper connect with your readers and ensures that they come back for more. Taking time to dialogue can be very fruitful.
Sometimes the pause that you take in each step can lead to a drastic change in the viability of your content. This why it is often said,
write not what you want to read, write that what others would read.