How I plan to spend my 2016.
I had every intention to write a blog post over on my blog (find it at tgudgeon.com) about the year ahead; my commitments for the year, rather than my resolutions, and Medium seemed like the perfect…medium. I never really bought into the idea of resolutions — the definition outright states that they are decisions, you can change decisions, I don’t like the looseness of the term. Whereas a commitment is something you…commit to, I can do that.
I came up with a list of about 10 or so things I want to do/achieve this year, things I actually see myself doing, things I actually want to do. So, although this is my first post on Medium, and you probably have no idea who I am — I’ll get to that, I’m sure — here is a list of what 2016 will consist of for me:
- Growing my company — In 2015 I started my own venture into the filmmaking industry (tgudgeon|media) producing; short movies, promotional videos and websites for clients. I absolutely love what I do and I have met and worked with some amazing people. In 2016, I plan to continue this and make it more of a thing.
- Create — You’d think as a filmmaker I’d be creating all the time, you’re kind of right. Alas I don’t feel I create enough for myself, I work and create for clients, but never really create stuff (movies, writing, photographs etc.) that I want to create, stuff that I am passionate about. So, 2016 is the year I do.*
- Exercise — This speaks for itself. So far so good too, it’s actually happening, I’m actually getting into a routine of exercising.
- Read more — I have never been a big reader and I really regret that. 2016 is the year that I actually pick up and complete a couple of books, if not more, we’ll see.
- Write more — I properly started blogging back in 2014. In 2015 it took a bit of a back seat as I started up my company and dedicated my time to work and my social life. I discovered Medium late last year, and thought it was a brilliant platform to share the stuff I want to write that doesn’t fit on my blog, so with that in mind: 2016 is the year I blog on tgudgeon.com and create on Medium.
- Photograph more — See above*
- Document things more effectively — I’m a huge fan of an American filmmaker: Casey Neistat. I adore his work, and am continuously inspired by his dedication to creating. He uploads a video every single day to his YouTube channel, sharing stories and more with the world. I want to do that. I’m not sure I want to document quite as regularly as he does, nor upload every film I make to YouTube, but I want to be able to look back on 2016 and see all the rad things I’ve done — whether that be through video, writing, photography or what — I want to document the things I do in 2016.
- Explore more — What more do I need to say? I saw the year in exploring a part of Scotland I’ve never seen before, the Isle of Skye, and I’d like to continue visiting new places, seeing old places, and just enjoying the adventure.
- Quit that filthy habit.
- Be Happy — This is the most important commitment of the year, and the one I will always do my best to achieve. Being happy is crucial. It’s okay to have down days and time where you don’t feel yourself, but 2016 is the year I be happy.
And that is that. I have a few more things I want to do this year like get a tattoo and move out, but what is above are the top priorities for me.
Here’s to 2016.