I wrote a book and will be releasing the the first few chapters on Medium in the coming weeks. The first half of the book centers around the content of today’s post — what I call “The Startup Hero’s Pledge”.
When I created Draper University of Heroes in 2012, I felt it would be important for students to have a “code” to live by. A guide not just for launching a business, but also for navigating life.
I encourage you to read the pledge, question it, and come to understand what it means to you.
I hope that when you encounter forks in the road, it serves as a compass.
The Startup Hero’s Pledge
- I will promote freedom at all costs.
- I will do everything in my power to drive, build and pursue progress and change.
- My brand, my network, and my reputation are paramount.
- I will set positive examples for others to emulate.
- I will instill good habits in myself. I will take care of myself.
- I will fail and fail again until I succeed.
- I will explore the world with gusto and enthusiasm.
- I will treat people well.
- I will make short-term sacrifices for long term success.
- I will pursue fairness, openness, health and fun with all that I encounter. Mostly fun.
- I will keep my word.
- I will try my best to make reparations for my digressions.
The Black Swan Clause: I am bound to this oath unless in my travels I determine that the oath has somehow missed something important and extraordinary.
The Evangelism Clause: I will promote and add to the ongoing success of Draper University, its students, its faculty, its administration, and its facilities. I will help prepare the next generation of Superheroes. (The Evangelism Clause is not a requirement unless you are an alum, or just want to support us.)
The Superhero Clause: I will accept the lifelong obligation to hone my Superhero powers, and apply those Superhero powers to the good of the universes.