We’re hiring a Senior Editor!
San Francisco or remote
Timeline is the first media company dedicated to connecting the dots between present and past. In 2015, we were named one of the best apps of the year by Apple and lauded by The New York Times, Fast Company, and others. And this year, we were nominated for Webby awards in the Best News App and Best Visual Design categories.
We are looking for a Senior Editor to help us bring the voices of historians, academics, and experts to a general-interest audience.
We believe that many people don’t understand the world we live in — not because they aren’t interested or don’t care, but because there’s no easy way to see how today’s news fits into the sweep of history. That’s why we’re building a groundbreaking news company that uses history to deliver unique insights into the events and ideas that are shaping the world. Sometimes that means looking back a year or a decade. Other times it means going back millennia.
What the job is:
- Building a community of prominent historians, academics, and thinkers who will contribute articles to Timeline, as well as discuss and engage with the work of fellow contributors.
- Working with the Editor-in-Chief to concept, assign, and edit those articles.
- Bringing contributors’ work beyond the page, including to audiences on social media and other platforms.
- Maintaining a database of potential contributors and a long-term publishing calendar of upcoming books.
- Participating in both daily and long-term staff ideas meetings, around both the news of the day and topics with a longer lifespan.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have several years of experience at a media organization.
- Be familiar with the publishing and academic landscape.
- Have an intense interest in current affairs, an omnivorous news diet, and an affection for history.
- Be self-directed, but also enjoy being part of a nimble, responsive team creating an exciting new media product.
If you’re excited by the chance to help us develop a new kind of journalism and to work at a well-funded San Francisco startup during one of the most exciting periods of media innovation in history, we encourage you to apply.
Timeline is run out of a small and friendly office in San Francisco’s Design District. We offer competitive salaries and health benefits.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note the position you are applying for in the subject line and include the following:
- Conversational cover letter, and please include three examples of recent articles you have read and liked, with a bit about why.