15 Questions to Ask When Looking for a Maryland Divorce Attorney
Many if not most people who find themselves facing divorce have never had to retain a lawyer before. This means they’ve never had to look for a lawyer or choose between the thousands of divorce and family law attorneys in their area. This can be an intimidating, confusing, and unfamiliar process. But it doesn’t need to be if you know what to ask, what to look for, and how to approach the process.
Conducting Interviews for Divorce Lawyers
Even if you haven’t hired a lawyer before, odds are that you have been on a job interview at least once in your life. You enter an office or conference room where one or more people try to determine whether you are the person they want to entrust with the responsibilities of an important position with their company. They will pepper you with questions about your qualifications and experience. They will try to get a sense of who you are and whether they get a feeling of confidence and trust from you. You are being thoroughly sized up because the people across the desk know that if they make the right hiring decision, it could add a lot of value, but if they make the wrong call and hire someone not up to the task, the consequences could be disastrous.
If you are looking for a Maryland divorce attorney to help guide you through a difficult and consequential time in your life, you will be the person sitting across the desk deciding who to hire for an incredibly important role in your personal business.
This is not a decision to be rushed or taken lightly. You have the right — and obligation — to ask as many questions as you need to get the information that can help you make the right decision.
So, after you have done some initial online research or been given referrals for potential Maryland divorce attorneys, you will want to arrange for interviews with the candidates. Many of them will offer free initial consultations during which you should be prepared to ask specific questions that can help you make your decision. You will also want to get a sense of who they are, how they approach their work, and how they treat you.
When you are interviewing Maryland divorce lawyers, keep these 15 important questions in mind:
- How long have you been practicing law here in my area?
- How much of your practice is focused on divorce and family law?
- Do you handle other kinds of cases?
- How long have you been practicing divorce and family law?
- Will you be personally working on my case or will any other attorneys be involved?
- How many divorce and family cases are you handling right now?
- How many hearings or trials on family law matters have you had in the past year?
- Do you represent both men and women? Why or why not?
- Do you require an up-front retainer, and if so, how much is it?
- How often will I be billed?
- When is payment is due?
- Do you offer payment plans or take credit cards?
- How much do you estimate my divorce or family law will cost?
- What are the terms of the fee agreement
- If I need to urgently reach you, how can I do that? If you are not available, is there someone else who will be able to speak with me? How long will it take you to return my call?
Hopefully, after you have conducted your job interviews, you will have found a lawyer with whom you feel comfortable; a lawyer you have faith and confidence in; a lawyer who you know is committed to protecting you and your children.
Baltimore & Towson Family Lawyer Amar S. Weisman
Serving individuals and families in Towson and the greater Baltimore area, attorney Amar S. Weisman provides sound guidance and compassionate counsel in divorce and family law matters. I offer free initial consultations during which I invite you to ask me any or all of the foregoing questions as well as discuss any other issues or concerns you may have. I am dedicated to providing every client with personalized and effective divorce representation. Please call me at (410) 321–4994 to learn more.