The holidays can be a stressful time — we’re all feeling the strain. Between the pull of work and obligations with friends and family, the last few months of the year get filled up fast. The to-do lists become a mile long and everyone starts mentioning how they could really use a clone.
Businesses feel the same strain and stresses during the holidays. Except, on top of their personal and work obligations, they also have to make their customers happy. Quite the undertaking.
The good news is that great customer service during the holidays isn’t about grand gestures or giant budgets, but rather using the Golden Rule — treat others as you want to be treated — as your guide.
Here’s a list of nine ways to make your customers so happy that they’ll stick around in the new year.
- Configure your phone system to be available, even when you’re not there.
- Take care of issues with expediency even though you’re busy (call recording can help you recall all the details).
- Be cheerful even when you feel not-so peppy.
- Keep your promises — if you say you return all calls within 24 then do it to show you care.
- Provide a holiday bonus or incentive to your customers.
- Post your ugly sweater on social media, the uglier the better.
- Consider your calls on national holidays, utilize custom greetings to notify your callers about your holiday availability.
- Ask your customers about their holiday plans, it shows that you care.
- Make them feel the holiday spirit by decorating your storefront or by sending holiday cards.
Don’t contribute to the stress of the holiday season. Instead, be the thing that makes your customers smile. Just like Jimmy Durante said, “Make just one someone happy, you’ll be happy too.”