5 Tips for Building a User-Friendly Website
Usability, or User Experience, is the art of making your website simple, user-friendly and easy to use. User-friendly websites convert users into customers and rank high in search engine results.
So, how do you go about designing a user-friendly website? Here are 5 simple ways to make sure your website is easy to use:
1. Ensure navigation is smooth — Users love websites that are easy to navigate. The experience of moving from one page to another should be smooth. If they are looking for an item, they should be able to understand which page to look into. Items that they like or promotions should be placed above the fold. This will make them stay on your page longer and can lead to a possible conversion.
2. Add a visible search field — When you have a lot of content, it can be overwhelming for users to navigate through all of that to get to what they want. Adding a search field will make their job easy. Instead of clicking one page after another, their search will provide the desired results. Make sure the search field is in a visible place on your page, preferably on the top. This will save your users time and not get them frustrated.
3. Reduce load time — Imagine if you encountered a site that looks appealing but takes forever to load! Won’t you leave and go back to another site? The same goes for your website. If your pages take ages to load, users will get impatient and leave. A good website loads within 10 seconds. Compressing or removing large images and videos, which don’t add to your content, is one way you can speed up your website. You can also try minimizing the number of redirects. Page load time also plays a role in website rankings. So, ensure all your pages load quickly.
4. Keep items organized — You can differentiate a good website from a bad one by simply looking at it. User-friendly sites are organized in such a way that everything can be found easily. Every element on the page has a designated place. For example, e-commerce sites like Amazon have a search bar on top, promotions below it, a drop down menu with all their available categories on the top left, a left navigation pane, recommendations, and recently viewed items on the home page. Users are able to find their desired items from the main page itself. Therefore, ensure all menus and items on your page are organized.
5. Make sure your contact information is easy to find — You want visitors to contact you, so make it easy for them to do so! Place your e-mail and/or phone number in the top right corner or in the footer so it can be seen on every page. Add a contact form to your website so that potential customers can fill out their name, e-mail addresses and other basic information.
There you have it, 5 tips that will help you build a website that is user friendly. Once you have implemented all of these tips don’t forget to test every link, button, page, and form before launching your site. If you do that, all of your hard work will pay off and you’ll see the results you are looking for.