Let’s face it, most cosmetic brands found in stores today are manufactured in Chinese factories. Popular companies like Urban Decay, Becca, BH Cosmetics, Morphe, and NYX (just to name a few) are all outsourced there. If you’d like to know all the brands made in China, click here. The list grows daily, but I try my best to keep it updated.
So, besides the obvious reasons to steer clear of beauty products made in China — unsafe working environment, unfair wages, and 20 hour work days, what can be found lurking INSIDE the makeup? You might be surprised…
- Packaging that contains carcinogenic glues, PVC, or Phthalates, and Formaldehyde. Yes, it is true and your makeup stews and absorbs these products every single day. This is one of the reasons brands have shortened the shelf life for their products. 24 months, 18 months are now 12 months or 6 months. After a period of time, ingredients increase potency and have a greater chance of making YOU sick, especially when left in hot warehouses.
- BPA: BPA stands for bisphenol A. BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 1960s. They’re found in metal canned goods and plastic packaging like Tupperware. It’s also in your metal eyeshadow pans, foundation bottles, and plastic inserts— at toxic percentages.
- Dyes: According to this article posted by CNBC, adverse reactions while using makeup may be caused by harmful ingredients. The likely culprit is toxic dyes. Blue 1, Red 5, Yellow 5 and 6 — each linked to certain cancers, are commonly used as base colorant in eyeshadows, blush, and lipsticks imported from China.
- Would you believe human and animal waste, in other words fecal matter and urine, is often found in makeup from China? Primers, foundations, concealers, liquid lipsticks, and several other products were all found contaminated with feces. https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/us-cops-find-huge-amount-of-makeup-contaminated-with-human-fecal-matter/
- Lead and Arsenic: Two very toxic substances should never be found in ingredients that are applied to your face. According to ABC News, an establishment that sells toy makeup for children was found to contain lethal doses of the poison. Another store in Houston, TX was busted with counterfeit goods diguised as MAC, Kat Von D, even Chanel — all containing high levels of arsenic and lead.
Although cosmetics made in China are affordable, the overall cost on your health is far too great to ignore. Instead of buy brands on this list, try brands that are made using safe ingredients made in the USA or other reputable countries.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics
- Jane Iredale
- Makeup Geek
- Vapour Organic Beauty
- Charlotte Tilbury
- and countless Japanese and Korean brands
Thanks for reading! Check out more makeup information on www.uhapibeauty.com