Umi Recipe: Adrienne’s Spring Quiche
Adrienne’s Spring Quiche Recipe:
For an approximately 11oz recipe of Pate Brise:
~ 7 tbsp Grass-fed butter (just over a stick)
~ 7 tbsp Happy pig lard
~ 2 ½ cups of King Arthur AP flour with germ
For the filling:
Dijon mustard (I love Maille mustard)
5 pastured eggs
⅔ cup crème fraiche
⅔ cup heavy cream
⅔ cup whole milk
6 oz. gruyere
Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375
For the crust (Pate Brisee):
2. Prepare a 10" spring form quiche pan. No buttering necessary.
3. In a large bowl combine 1:1 grass fed butter & happy pig lard with flour and mix using a pastry cutter or forks until it resembles cookie crumbs
4. Add cold water a teaspoon at a time until it just comes together, form dough into a ball shape. Cover it with parchment paper and chill it for 30 minutes.
5. Roll the dough to ⅛–¼” thickness and place in quiche pan. Use extra dough to repair holes and moisten if necessary. Chill pan for 30 minutes.
6. Dock the dough, using parchment paper and dried beans/baking weights and cook in the lower portion of your oven for 20 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and added weight and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove and allow the crust to cool.
7. Paint the crust with a high quality Dijon mustard to form a see-through layer.
8. Reduce oven to 325.
For the filling:
9. Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water for 3 minutes and then remove, chop, and chill. Keep asparagus tops aside (we will use them for the top later).
10. Combine eggs with crème fraiche, heavy cream, and milk, totaling about 1 ¾ cups. Add 6 oz. of gruyere chopped into small cubes, a pinch of salt, and a dash of pepper. Whisk together. Add chopped asparagus (save the pretty tops!). Whisk again.
11. Pour into cooled quiche pan. Scatter the asparagus tops on the top of the quiche. Grate a small amount of fresh nutmeg over the top of the quiche.
12. Bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Quiche should be wobbly when coming out of the oven, but not liquidy. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature.
Follow Adrienne on Instagram @365nourishment