Better than Takeaway: Easy Mexican Chicken Ring recipe for Students
This is purely ingenious and I had to share it with you, my favorite meal has got to be chicken fajitas with this coming in a close second, my lovely friend who I have known since the age of 5 cooked this for me just before we went to a rugby match and I couldn’t get enough! So I recreated it for my other half as a Friday night treat it is super-fast fun and most importantly tasty! So here we go…..
2 Skinless boneless chicken breast
115g/4oz cheddar cheese grated
2tsp chilli sauce or green pepper sauce (optional if you don’t like the heat)
1tbsp Tex Mex seasoning or fajita seasoning
1 tomato deseeded and chopped into small chunks
1 tomato sliced into 8 wedges
Zest of ½ a lime
4 limes cut into wedges
1 garlic clove crushed
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
Tortilla chips to serve
- Pre heat oven to 180 c/gas 5. Cut pastry into 12 triangles by firstly rolling it out and cutting it across the middle length ways and then cutting it to make six even squares, then cut each square diagonally to make 12 triangle (In the picture you can probably see I did eight triangles but my friend assured me it should be 12, but when it’s just the two of you consuming the whole thing 8 triangles made me feel a little less like a Pig!😉. Place triangles onto a lightly greased pizza stone or round baking tray in a ‘sun’ shape, with points of triangle hanging over the edges and seal overlapping pastry together.
- Cook chicken for 4 minutes or until cooked through in the Microwave (I found it useful to prick the chicken with a fork and cover loosely to save any exploding chicken incidents!
- Grate cheese and add to a bowl, measure mayonnaise in then add the deseeded tomato, lime zest, garlic and chilli sauce and tex mex seasoning. Chop chicken in small chunks and add to same bowl and mix together.
- Place the chicken mixture evenly onto pastry and create ring shape with the triangles by loosely pulling over the points which are hanging over the edge.
- Glaze with egg, milk or oil
- Bake for 20 minutes or a little longer until pastry is cooked
- Slice 4 lime slices then halve them and cut remaining tomato into 8 wedges. Alternatively arrange tomato and lime slices between openings of ring.
- Serve with tortilla chips in the centre of the ring with sour cream, salsa and guacamole or even a few cheeky jalapenos if you are brave.
And if like me you are watching the calories then you can use the lighter options such as light puff pastry, light mayonnaise and lighter cheddar cheese to reduce the calories a little, I also think it wouldn’t be too hard to turn this into a vegetarian feast by swapping the chicken breasts for Quorn chicken pieces.
An all-round crowd-pleaser I am sure you will agree!
Originally published at gemofalltrades.wordpress.com on August 18, 2014.