The National Student Survey 2017
Last year in the NSS, you asked for a bunch of new things you’d like from us, and we delivered big time! So here’s the list of all the things you said, and we did:
1.You Said: The Library needed better opening hours.
We Did: The Library is now open 24/7 during term time! And with 24/7 self service coffee machines to match.
2. You Said: You wanted to borrow more library books.
We Did: You can now borrow up to 20 books from the library. No need for the gym when you’ve got 20 books to carry home!
3. You Said: You’d like reduced costs for student meals on Park Campus.
We Did: In our swanky new Park Kitchen you can get a different hot meal every day for less than £4. Hurrah! We’ve introduced a 10% discount for all students on food! This is coupled with great new facilities and an updated look and feel for the restaurant means that you can eat better and enjoy spending time in The Park.
Other changes and improvements include:
A Brand new salad bar with fresh salad throughout the day
New industrial washing machines in the kitchen to improve the time taken to get serving dishes back into rotation, reducing queuing times.
Entirely new Deli counter serving sandwiches, cakes and hot pastries.
Partnership with local bakery The Good Loaf to deliver fresh, great bread for the soup bar.
Working with Elsie’s Caf’ to ensure less food goes to waste and more goes to the people who need it.
“We held focus groups with staff and students to help us develop our plans for The Park and we think they will be impressed with the results.” — Akshay Acharekar
4. You Said: We needed better resources in the Library.
We Did: This year we’ve bought a whopping 137,000 new academic e-books across all subjects!
5. You Said: Avenue Library needed increased silent study spaces, and Park needed extra group study spaces.
We Did: Exactly that! Avenue Library has a new quiet zone, and Park Library is now group-work central.
6. You Said: The WiFi on campus needs improving.
We did: We upgraded the WiFi in halls, so you can surf all day. We also created a guide to making the most of in halls WiFi, which you can check out here: https://medium.com/@UniNorthants/get-the-most-out-of-wifi-at-university-a5f268c3d1b#.9d7mp4tx5
7. The Faculty of Arts, Science and Tech have invested in loads of new student resources, including all these:
· Complete refurbishment of all Computing labs in Newton, plus the development of Newton 102 as an additional lab for GIS and Engineering.
· New software and teaching resources for Computing, such as our “family” of robots
· New laboratory equipment in Engineering
· New field and mapping equipment for Environmental Science and Geography
· Enhanced fieldwork opportunities in Environmental Science and Geography
· Investment in industry-standard pattern-cutting software for Fashion
· Investment in new equipment and modernisation of Journalism and Media facilities; including buying camera drones, Go-Pros and high-end professional quality cameras.
· Investment in up-to-date Adobe design software for all computers in 2D Design
· New PCs for Architecture, Interior Design, Product Design and Fashion areas
· New Footwear studio and upgrades to sewing room facilities in Fashion
· Specialist software for Architecture, Interior Design, Product Design
· Full frame professional cameras, specialist Photoshop training and enhanced internship opportunities in Photography.