Curry Leaves Uses & Health Benefits That Will Blow Your Mind
Curry Leaves is a herb which is commonly used to add flavors to recipes.It has been used in health conditions like hair loss, diabetes, weight loss,blood pressure, acne, indigestion, anaemia since ages.
You should eat healthy and nutritious foods. The ingredients that you use should contain nutrients and should make your food healthier. If you eat healthy foods, then you will be relieved of most of your health problems.
Now, you must be thinking about the ingredients you can add in your food, isn’t it? There are many things like coriander leaves, mint leaves, tomato, grated coconut, onions, lemon, crushed ginger and curry leaves.
These ingredients are very beneficial and one of the most powerful ingredients is the curry leaves. It is an excellent ingredient, which can be added in your meals. This is why women prefer to add curry leaves in their food as it enhances the taste and nutrition of the food.
There are people who don’t like curry leaves and they take it out from their food. If you are one of them, then you shall avoid doing such things. This is because curry leaves have amazing benefits to your health. Try to eat it and after that you will notice changes in your health.
Nutritional Content of Curry Leaves:
As mentioned earlier, curry leaves are very rich in essential nutrients. The important nutrients initiate in curry leaves are copper, minerals, calcium, phosphorous, fiber, carbohydrates, energy, magnesium and iron. It also contains many types of vitamins like vitamin A, B, C and E and amino acids.
Health Benefits Of Curry Leaves:
- If you are an anaemia patient then curry leaves helps to cure anaemia.
- If you are addicted to drinking alcohols and you prefer to eat non-veg items, then you must eat curry leaves or you can also add it to your meal as it will help to protect the liver from getting damaged.
- If you have diabetes, then you must add curry leaves in your meals as it will help to control your blood sugar level. If you eat curry leaves every morning in an empty stomach, then it will be very good for you.
- It helps to control blood cholesterol level and will also protect you from heart disease.
- There is one kind of problem which is very common in people i.e. Indigestion. When your food is not digested properly, you feel uneasiness and lazy. Adding curry leaves to your food aids in proper digestion.
- It will help to relieve you from problems like diarrhoea.
- It can ease the side effects of chemotherapy and also protect your body from cancer.
- It can reduce blocking of the nose.
- Curry leaves help to cure different types of skin infections like rashes, measles and swelling.
- Curry leaves also help to prevent hair dandruff and hair fall.
- If you are suffering from the gastric problem, then take a bunch of curry leaves and prepare a juice of it. Add little lemon juice in it and drink it on an empty stomach early morning. You can also make a paste of curry leaves and use in buttermilk as an ingredient.
- If you are a diabetic patient, then you should not ignore adding curry leaves in your meal as it will help to control your blood sugar level.
- These days people are so much addicted to computers, laptops, mobiles etc that they suffer from eyesight problems like night blindness and loss of vision.Curry leaves are beneficial for your eyesight.
- If you feel like your body is not responding well and you are too lazy to finish your work just because your body is weak and it wants immunity or stamina. Then you must have curry leaves. You can eat curry leaves or else you can drink buttermilk by adding it`s paste.
- It is quite common that when kids are playing in the garden, they sometimes fall and get hurt. It is also common that when kids are doing any experiments with anything they get burned. So, by applying curry leaves paste, it will cure the wounds and will help to protect it from any harmful infections.
People are very concerned about their hair problems and skin problems. Specially, girls who are desperately concerned about their hair problems like hair fall and hair growth. For such problems treat your hair by using curry leaves. It will be very beneficial for your hair.
How To Use Curry Leaves For Hair Growth?
Curry leaves are beneficial for hair because;
- It aids in repairing of damaged roots
- It helps in preventing hair fall.
- It helps to enhance the growth of the hair.
- It helps in maintaining the hair colour.
You can use curry leaves for hair growth by:
Making A Hair Tonic:
- Take a bowl and put some fresh curry leaves and add little amount of coconut oil in it.
- Heat them properly till a black residue is formed.
- Keep aside to cool it and then apply it on your scalp.
- Leave it for about one an hour and wash it with cold water by using shampoo which you prefer.
- Apply this two times a week and after twenty days you will observe improvements.
Making A Hair Mask:
- Take some curry leaves and muddle it, after that grind it by adding little water. So that it can be like a paste.
- Mix this paste with sour curd or yoghurt and then apply it on your hair.
- Keep this mixture for about half an hour and then wash it with cold water and shampoo.
- You can use this three times a week.
- Then after one month you will notice hair growth, smooth and shiny locks.
Skin Benefits Of Curry Leaves:
Curry leaves are beneficial for skin because;
- It removes all the dirt and impurities present in the skin.
- It removes oil.
- It prevents the problem of acnes and pimples.
- It helps the skin to glow.
- It keeps the skin fresh.
You can use curry leaves for acnes by:
Making A Paste:
- In a grinder, add little amount of water and add some curry leaves, lemon juice, turmeric and grind it.
- Take it out in a small bowl.
- Finally, apply it on your face and neck and if you want, you can put it on your hands also.
- Leave it for about half an hour and then wash it with cold water.
- Use this three times a week.
Making A Face Pack:
- Take some curry leaves, Dry them and then grind to form a powder.
- In a small bowl, add curry leaves powder, lemon juice and rose water.
- Mix them properly and apply it on your face and neck.
- Leave it for about half an hour and then wash it with cold water.
- Use this every alternate day.
Curry Leaves For Weightloss:
Are you concerned about your weight? You always want to look slim and have a perfect shaped body. To reduce weight you do lots of things like exercise, yoga, follow a strict diet plan and you should continue doing these things.
You should take care of your diet and include curry leaves in your meal as it is very good for weight loss. Don’t think too much, just know how curry leaves can reduce your weight.
- When your food is not digested properly, you feel uneasy and your body becomes heavy which helps to increase your weight. So, eating curry leaves will help to digest the food properly.
- It is very necessary to flush all the impurities present in the body so that the body will be relaxed. You can make a curry leaf soup, tea or juice; it will definitely help to flush out all the impurities present in the body.
- If you follow this, then you can surely reduce your weight.
How to Plant Curry Leaves At Home:
Curry leaves are an unavoidable part of an Indian cooking where all the dishes starts and ends with it for seasoning or garnishing. It will be very good to grow curry leaves in your kitchen garden so that you will be able to take pleasure while cooking with fresh leaves.
They are high-speed growing deciduous shrubs, which grows healthy with a temperature around 65 degrees. You must consider some important points if you are thinking to plant a curry leaf plant in your garden. The important points are:
1. Plant Outdoors:
As curry leaves need sunlight, so it is better to grow them in the open air. If you live in an apartment, then you can choose any area where the plant can receive direct sunlight. It is also very necessary to protect the plant from high temperatures during summer seasons.
2. Grow From Seeds:
It can be grown easily from its seeds. Ripe seeds must be at normal temperature to germinate. While using seeds, you must remember that it may take some time to grow.
3. Plant The Stem:
Stem cutting is the easiest way to plant a curry leaf. Take some brushwood in the semi-ripe stage, which is not hard and woody. After cutting the stem at the joint, put it a few centimeters down to the ground.
4. Regular Trimming:
It is compulsory to spruce your plant to observe a fast and thick growth. Trimming will give an abundant supply of fresh and young leaves. If you will ignore it, then it will outgrow easily.
5. Pest Control:
Generally, pests are not a great fear when planting a curry leaf. It is better to grow them naturally rather than using chemical pesticides. It will be great to sprinkle salt water on the leaves once two weeks.
It prefers a well-drained soil to grow well. So, it is suggested to allow the soil to dry between each watering session. Watering a curry leaf plant is very compulsory during the summer season as the soil will dry up easily.
7. Using Fertilizers:
Bio-fertilizers are very advantageous for a curry leaf plant. Regular use of fertilizers is very important for plants, which are cultivated in pots. It is not recommended to give a high dose of fertilizers to young plants.
Now, finally I am going to tell you how to prepare curry leaf tea and its chutney. So that you can include it with your daily meals and it will become very easy for you to eat curry leaves.
How To Prepare Healthy And Nutritious Curry leaves Tea?
- 3 Cups of water
- 15 Curry leaves
- Half lemon
Method Of Preparation:
- In a pan, add 3 cups of water and heat it.
- Then add 15 curry leaves and wait till it boils.
- After boiling, add lemon juice in it and mix well.
- After 2 minutes, add half spoon of sugar in it and mix well.
- Then after a minute strain it well in a cup.
- Your curry leaf tea is ready.
How To Prepare Healthy And Nutritious Curry Leaves Chutney?
- One cup of curry leaves
- ¼ cup of grated raw coconut
- One tablespoon oil
- Two or three green chillies
- Red pepper
- Two tablespoons of tamarind pulp
- One tablespoon of jaggery
- Two teaspoons of Chana dal
- Two teaspoons of Urad dal
- ½ teaspoons of Rai
- ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Water if required.
Method Of Preparation:
- Heat a pan and add one tablespoon of oil, then add mustard seeds and cumin seeds in it and sauté them.
- After that add urad dal and Chana dal, mix well on a medium flame till it becomes light brown in colour. Then add asafoetida and red pepper and cook it for half minutes. When it is properly cooked, take out the mixture in a bowl.
- Again heat a pan, add one tablespoon of oil and curry leaves in it then cook for two minutes. After that add coconut and green chillies and sauté for one minute.
- In a grinder, add the mixture, roasted curry leaves, tamarind pulp, jaggery and salt then grind it properly.
- At last, your curry leaves chutney is ready.
Next time when you come across curry leaves don’t throw them away.Eat it and get all its nutritional benefits. It helps you in all aspects i.e. Hair, Skin, stomach everywhere.That’s why we call it an all rounder herb.
Leave your comments and suggestions below.If you have any recipes using Curry leaves which can be beneficial to people then do share it with us.
Originally published at mavcure.com on March 3, 2016.