Recipe: Jin Patisserie’s Rouge Cube
Three Parts: Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Sponge Cake, Earl Grey Brulee
750g guanaja chocolate
1038g whipped cream
- Put eggs and yolks in a mixing bowl and whisk until doubled.
- Cook sugar and water to 249.8F and pour the sugar syrup into the egg mixture and continue to whisk until cold.
- Melt chocolate to 113F and mix well into pâte à bombe.
- Fold in whipped cream. Set aside.
Chocolate Sponge Cake
15 egg whites
156g cocoa powder
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 340F.
- Whisk yolk and sugar until doubled, then fold in the cocoa powder.
- Whisk the egg white and sugar until stiff, then fold into the yolk mixture.
- Spread onto the lined sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
Earl Grey Brulee
25g earl grey tea leaves
- Combine cream with tea leaves and cook until warm. Strain tea leaves.
- Add sugar and glucose to tea cream mixture until smooth. Add yolks and continue to cook until consistency is like vanilla sauce.
- Soften gelatin by adding some water to it. Then immediately add gelatin to tea cream mixture and stir.
- Pour into a mold to set in freezer.
To Assemble the Rouge
Use a square cake ring to cut the sponge cake into squares of the same size. Put one sponge cake piece on a plate and pipe on the chocolate mousse. Set the frozen tea crème brulee in the middle, top with another piece of chocolate sponge cake. Lastly, pipe more mousse on top of the cake. Let the tea crème brulee come to room temperature before serving, about 2 hours.