Hey Bulldogs! Have you heard that this year’s corn crop is now available at the Gibson Farm Market? Just in time for all your summer barbeques!
In honor of National Corn on the Cob Day, I thought I’d share some fun facts about Fresno State’s famous sweet corn with you.
- Depending on the heat, Fresno State corn takes about 80 days to grow from seed to harvest.
- Two full-time staff members and a number of student workers are responsible for the 82 acres of corn.
- Fresno State’s first corn crop was grown on campus in 1981 and sold in 1982 at the former farm market on the corner of Chestnut and Barstow.
- In 2017, Fresno State harvested 800,000 ears of yellow and white corn combined. That’s a lot of corn!
- Fresno State corn is harvested during the coolest part of the morning and delivered same day to the Gibson Farm Market in order to ensure optimal freshness.
Don’t miss out on this year’s harvest and be sure to tag me in all of your corn-loving selfies! Eat up, Bulldogs!