Sony PXW-Z150: The ultimate Run & Gun camcorder
Sony has launched their new solid state memory compact handy camcorder, the Sony PXW-Z150 delivering broadcast quality 4K (UHD) and full HD.
Aimed squarely at “Run & Gun” style shooters, looking for a more a more traditional video camcorder style operational experience, its perfect for on location news reporters & documentarians, as well as a wide range of broadcast, corporate and educational content producers. The PXW-Z150 slots perfectly into the high-end camcorder market segment.
Designed as a step-up model from Sony’s extremely popular PXW-X70 , the new Z150 incorporates the world’s first 1” Exmor RS stacked CMOS sensor delivering stunning image quality in a compact professional camcorder meaning it has exceptional low noise and low light performance, overcoming a common complaint of the previous Z100. As an added benefit the sensor also provides better depth of field control as well.
Further building upon the innovative foundations set by the PXW-X70 & PXW-Z100 as well as Sony’s new HD only camcorder the HXR-NX100, the PXW-Z150 features native (included) AVCHD, XDCAM 422 HD and 4K (UHD) recording capabilities (the previous X70, was only upgradable to 4K UHD 60Mbps with a chargeable key option). Notable as well is the new larger fixed lens of the Z150 with 12x optical performance and seamless Clear Image Zoom extending the range to 24x in HD modes and 18x in 4K (UHD). The new Sony G lens also provides 3 rings (separate focus, zoom and iris) and incorporates 3 ND filters.
Like the PXW-X70 the new PXW-Z150 supports recording to two now rear facing SDHD/SDXC card slots along with rear facing 3G SDI and HDMI outputs as well as an SD Video output. The Z150 also has dual XLR audio inputs on the handle and sports a wide view high contrast OLED viewfinder and a flip out 3.5” LCD panel.
The PXW-Z150 supports numerous workflows by supporting the following recording codecs:
- AVC-HD record modes 8 bit 420 up to 60p
- XAVC HD-L 10 bit 422 50Mbps up to 120p (for slow motion capture)
- XDCAM MPEG 2 50Mbps 422 recording in HD Broadcast Standard
- 4K UHD recording at 60Mbps or also 100Mbps in 8 bit 420
- High Quality G Series Lens — 3 ring 12x lens 18x 4K 24x HD lens
- Broadcast standard XDCAM 422 as well as AVCHD and 4K recording modes
- Large 1.0-inch (13.2 x 8.8mm) “Exmor RS” stacked CMOS sensor
- WIFI remote enabled
- Built in High QOS streaming capability
- Wireless FTP file transfer capability
- Built in USB connectivity (for file transfer)
- Low power consumption (extended operation time up to 400min with optional NP-F970 type battery)
- Wired remote connectivity (Lanc style)
The $4,499 PXW-Z150 will ship on March 31, 2016 , and is available for pre-order through Vistek today.
- March 10th 2PM — Vistek Toronto (496 Queen Street E.) — 2nd floor seminar room
- Presented by: Brian Young Product Manager Video and Production Technology — Vistek
- This is a FREE Event
The new Z150 — a step up from the PXW-X70 — is designed to take over the title of “workhorse”. On Thursday, March 10, when it makes its Canadian premiere, it’s your chance to see why. Sign up and see what the excitement is about by witnessing first-hand the Z150’s incredible range of features and benefits.
Originally published at Vistek ProPhotoBlog.