Update June 23 — Clara
Anne and I are finally progressing and becoming (semi-)successful MultiTaction software developers! We’ve made our code “connect the dots” and now it’s able to detect the slope of recently made lines. It’s exciting that we’ve been able to figure out more of the Cornerstone SDK and that we are now proficient enough in C++ to use it for our application. Though we’ve hit quite a few road bumps, we’re becoming more comfortable in debugging our code and trying to couple it with the minimally documented SDK.
At one point, we had difficulty with one of our loops calling on the correct point to connect with a line so all points were becoming connected with the most recently drawn point. Though this was no where near what we wanted to be done, the result was visually pretty cool and it was nice to be easily (relatively) able to fix the issue.
Other times, however, it’s still been very frustrating. The SDK documentation once called for square brackets and we kept getting errors but when we switched it to parentheses, which I was very skeptical of trying out but Anne insisted, it worked. That experience taught us to try many different syntactical configurations of our code if we’re getting “make” errors.
We also had a Google hangout with Greg from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and he became a nice resource/colleague. Though the application he’s personally working on wouldn’t work for us (since we don’t have our MultiTaction working with a Windows machine), he was a friendly person to share in our development struggle. Hopefully we’ll be able to work together a bit more and reach out to one another with complications and/or insights. :)