Our Vision for the Future of DC College Democrats.
An open letter to our members, partners, and stakeholders.
Dear fellow Democrats,
In this critical time in our country’s history, we ALL have a role to play in not only resisting donald trump’s regressive agenda, but in fighting fiercely for our progressive Democratic values on a local, state, and national level.
As President of the largest and most active College Dems Federation in the entire United States, I wanted to give you an update on how DC College Democrats plans to do just that this Fall:
A few of the goals our executive board has set for the Fall are:
1). To fundraise at least $8,000 by the end of this year. This money will cover:
– Grants for College Dems Chapters. The DC College Democrats executive board is committed to supporting our chapters through establishing a grant program and disbursing grants that cover small expenses like signage, branded table cloths, trips, etc.
– Operational expenses. Like any organization, DC College Democrats needs money to operate. Our budget will cover things like our website domain, email accounts, event venues, advertising, etc.
2). Expand our membership:
– Charter new universities. In addition to rechartering our chapters this Fall, our Membership Director Duane Paul Murphy will be reaching out to both Gallaudet University and the University of the District of Columbia.
– Organize. DC College Democrats has set a goal for mobilizing over 2,000 students this year for the Virginia’s Gubernatorial race and state senate elections. Our Events Director Nicole Pope and Political Director Basira Knight will work with chapters, campaigns, & organizations to meet our goal and organize events like phone banking, canvassing, and GOTV efforts.
3). Increasing our transparency:
– Make as much information public as possible. As an elected official, I was committed to being as transparent as possible to my constituents by hosting periodic town hall meetings and by posting my campaign financial reports online. Continuing that tradition, DC College Democrats will begin to post our monthly financial reports and grant disbursements on our website.
– Monthly meetings. DC College Democrats is committed to hosting open organizational meetings at least once a month.
A few housekeeping things to take care of:
- All DC chapters will need to recharter with DC College Democrats in order to be eligible for grants and to make their members eligible to run for election in next year’s Convention. More information regarding rechartering will be sent out to chapters and their current leadership soon.
- We need your feedback! Send us your thoughts, suggestions, and other ideas to email@example.com.
- We will also be scheduling a conference call with all chapter leadership and the full DC College Democrats executive board soon. Keep your eyes posted for an email with the date and time.
Thank you for reading, resisting, & being a part of this team. I look forward to working with you in the year ahead. All the best,
Walter Deleon, President