How to keep a long distance relationship alive while working abroad?
You are excited to embark on a new journey in life, heading overseas to study or for work. However, you are little apprehensive with the fact that you’ll be working or studying abroad without your boyfriend/girlfriend. Even though you know it’s a difficult decision, you’re still convinced that your relationship is worth fighting for.
That’s great — but remember studying abroad has the power to kill the relationships. Make sure you hold that passion and consider the following tips to make your distance relationship work while studying/working abroad -
1. Communicate regularly but not often — Avoid being overly possessive or sticky. You don’t need to communicate 12 hours a day to keep your relation alive. Many couples think they need to compensate for the distance by talking more, but that’s not true. At the same time, since you’re the one living abroad so there are very high chances of you getting caught in new life. You’re surrounded with new people, new foods, new culture, and you end up losing sight of your relationship. Try fighting against all these odds, by making time for your partner.
2. Leverage technology to work for you — Utilize technology because it’ll let you feel more connected. If you both have smartphones, you can use YapApp to free video calling each other and stay connected. This will not only allow you to chat each other spontaneously throughout the day and share momentous events with each other but also see each other if you video call.
3. Try to communicate creatively — Greet each other good morning and good night every day- it’s very important. Try to update your partner on your life and happenings. To up the game, send each other picture, audio messages, and short videos with YapApp. This way, you can make the other person feel loved.
4. Do things together — Play an online game together or watch a video, movie at the same time. Sing to each other on YapApp while one of you plays the guitar. Go online shopping together and buy each other gifts. Be creative and spontaneous about it.
5. Plan visits to each other — If you and your beau can afford it, this should be the number one thing for sustaining long distance relationships.
6. Trust each other — This can be the biggest downfalls of any long distance relationship. Trust can already be difficult when you’re in the same town. If you’re entering in a long distance relationship, then make sure you have a strong foundation of trust. Talk about your feelings of fear, insecurity, jealousy or whatsoever. Do not hide anything from each other and keep the trust flowing.
7. Know each other’s schedules — It is helpful to know when the other person is busy and when he/she is free so that you can call or message at the right time. You wouldn’t want to disturb your partner when he is in the middle of a business meeting. Know about the important small or big events occurring in each other’s lives.
8. Video call whenever possible — There can’t be anything better than looking into each other’s eyes and hearing each other’s voice
In the end remember, while your relationship should be a means of support, it should not be what holds you back from living in the moment and in the place that you’re in physically. Long distance relationships are difficult but they can be incredibly rewarding too.