Disconnect to Connect
For the past couple of days I have been reading on Productivity Tips. Have been scouring various blogs on the same. One thing that has caught my fancy is Digital Detox. To stay away from all kinds of Electronic Connecting Devices, especially Smart Phone. I am constantly connected to the Internet via my iPhone. Even while working on stuff that doesn’t require me to be connected to the Internet, I keep my WiFi on. And this in turn compels me to check my email or browse unnecessary stuff on the Internet. This disrupts my thinking process or my work. Although I love being connected to my friends and family members over Whatsapp and other social networks, I don’t want it to be a habit where I check my phone even if there are no new notifications.
So here’s my plan to Disconnect and be more Productive:
- Use Whatsapp sparingly. No forwarding of that joke that you found funny or no unnecessary chit-chat.
- Put your email in Fetch mode rather than Push Mode. Change settings to fetch mail hourly.
- Stop multitasking. Focus on just the task at hand. If possible, put iphone on Do Not Disturb.
- Read a book. Rather than surfing news on the news sites or reading facebook feeds.
- Write. Whatever comes to your mind on a piece of paper rather than updating it on Facebook or Twitter.
- Make a list of tasks to be done. Write it on paper and keep it in your pocket.
- Put the phone away so that it cannot be reached without getting up.
- Watch. Whatever is nearby you. Rather than staring at your mobile phone and checking for new notifications.
Originally published at www.yashpaljadeja.net on May 14, 2015.