GAM111.2 Pot Mortem
Throughout this Post mortem I will be discussing the practice and execution of my GAM111.2 assessment. I’ll give be giving an analysis of the project as a whole as the document continues.
I started on this project gearing towards a 3d trading card game(TCG), think SoulForge and Magic. I was able to implement a drag and drop feature using simple script for the players cards and gave them a few particle effects when the players mouse hovered over them. Using the canvas, text and image UI I was able to create a replica of an actual TCG card. Unfortunately I didn’t have the knowledge or practice necessary to create an enemy AI function that would play against the player, so i decided to scrap that idea and move onto a new project.
I created a 3d tile based movement scene first using Dijkstra's algorithm on a 20x20 grid. Using the algorithm I was able to implement a cost system for player movement. I then created a new scene and made a 3d turn based battle between 2 free assets on the Unity store. I used basic animation and particle effects here to try and spice things up. The result was a fairly flashy battle that incorporated visual and audio feedback for the player.
What Went Right:
Particles, Tile based movement, Animation, Audio.
I researched and spent a lot of time going through tutorials on YouTube and through Unity’s guidebook. The result was that I am now more familiar with Particle modules, the Animator and creating audio arrays. I’d had also been researching a fair bit on Dijkstra’s algorithm and grid based movement.
For best practices and for my own benefit, I’ll be revising over these videos and guidebooks to further cement their lessons into my memory. Practice makes perfect after all.
What Went Wrong:
Time, Execution, Decisiveness, Scoping
I over scoped hard on this project for the amount of time I actually had. I wanted to create an array of random enemies, a leveling system and to clean up on a few visuals such as the background on both scenes. I also wasted a lot of time working 2 projects due to me giving up on my card game, for future works I must remember to try and stick with one project to the end if I've got the time.
For best practice I’ll get a good head start on working on these projects and I recommend creating a GDD or at least a document detailing what it is I plan on making. More detail with particles and animation would also be advantages.