Two men charged over “imminent” IS terror attack

February 11, 2015: The NSW Police Force’s Assistant Commissioner Catherine Burn
Picture: Sky News Australia

Two men have been arrested in Sydney and charged with planning a terrorist attack, Australian Federal Police say; flags, hunting knife seized in raids.

Two men allegedly plotting to carry out an “imminent” terrorist attack in Sydney and in possession of a hunting knife, machete and Islamic State flag were arrested by Australian counterterrorism police, a senior police official said.

Authorities arrested the pair in Fairfield, western Sydney, yesterday — the same day they were allegedly planning to maim or kill someone in a knife attack.

New South Wales police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn told a press conference today that the men, aged 24 and 25, had been charged with “acts done in preparation, for, or planning terrorist acts”

“We will be alleging that the two men were well advanced in their preparations,” Ms Burn said.

“We will allege both of these men were preparing to do this attack yesterday … it was imminent and we acted.”

‘No more attacks imminent’

Ms Burn sought to reassure the public no further attacks were planned.

Police allege the plot had been planned as revenge for incidents overseas.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.