Senior DevOps Engineer
Bring Continuous Deployment to Africa’s Energy Future
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage startup that’s bringing energy access to Africa with clean, affordable solar energy. At the heart of our business is the continuous delivery of our software and data services. We need an experienced DevOps engineer to help us level up the delivery of our software and data platforms
This may be your dream job if you’re a Devops master who can get passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid markets — over 1.3 billion people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. Naturally, you’ll be hungry for adventure, inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
As a key member of the Digital Platforms department, our DevOps engineer will maintain the toolchain for developing, testing, deploying and assuring high performance of our cloud-based software. And do all of this cost-effectively using utility computing resources. Working closely with developers, QA, sysadmins and IT staff, you will be the driving force for bulletproof but highly agile delivery of cloud-based solutions.
We’ll count on you to provide the following:
- System Automation. Implement and maintain our Docker and AWS-based automation framework, writing code and configuration files, documenting processes and practices. You’ll script the management of server clusters and service infrastructure to achieve repeatable systems and immutable infrastructure.
- Continuous Deployment for multiple applications across development, testing, dynamic staging and production environments. In particular, you’ll support our Jenkins CI, with re-usable testing scripts, hooking into deployment pipelines and alerting systems to notify developers of CI status changes. You’ll also build out code and environment variables that allow run time configuration changes to the system to support dynamic configuration between applications.
- Build Scalable & High Availability Systems. Help us scale our collection of services, enabling them to respond to dynamic load and handle any single system failure with high availability built in by design. You’ll anticipate both common hiccups and worst-case scenarios, and have a process in place to avoid interruptions to business operations.
- Monitoring and Alerting across the network and individual machines to ensure stability. Identify system errors that impact performance and resolve errors timely. Simplify the alerting data collection and process so that self-serve alerting can be done by IT, product management, and operational teams. You’ll test and select best-in-class tooling and train the organisation around it’s usage.
This role is based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- At least one scripting language at a high proficiency level
- 2+ years with Amazon Web Services (EC2, ECS, S3, ELB, CloudFormation, Route53, etc.) in a command line setting — focused on Linux-based systems
- Production responsibility for working with system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols
- 3+ years designing, analysing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed, production systems
- Deployment orchestration tools with Ansible, Puppet, Chef, and/or Docker
- Monitoring and alerting with at least two of the following: Cloudwatch, Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss, Sensu, Graphite/Grafana, Logstash, rsyslogd
- Demonstrable knowledge of low-level the TCP/IP stack, HTTP(S), web application security, and experience supporting multi-tier web application architectures.
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Ability to communicate effectively to a range of stakeholders in crisis conditions
- Linux/Unix Administration
- Docker, container-based applications, and service discovery
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS is required)
- Advanced knowledge of application clustering / load balancing concepts and technologies
- Scripting proficiency in shell and Python/Ruby/Go/Perl
- Knowledge of Redshift, Postgres and NoSQL technologies
- Microservice production experience
- Knowledge of distributed logging best practices
- Experience managing bare metal systems outside of the cloud
- Travel to some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- The opportunity to directly improve millions of lives. By bringing sustainable electricity to a part of the world where 90% of people have no grid access. Few other activities can provide as fundamental impact to human lives as this.
- Some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment.
Send us info about yourself to email@example.com. We’ll get the ball rolling from there!
The world is watching
That's because the power distribution infrastructure -- plants and the grid -- is severely underdeveloped, requires…www.cnn.com
What can you buy for $7? For perspective I put the question to my connections - a rich mix of digital residents from…www.forbes.com
More than one in seven of us around the world do not have access to electricity according to the International Energy…www.cnbc.com
How do you get electricity to the millions of people who still don’t have it? One answer is to build an electricity…www.fastcoexist.com
Feb. 2 — Off Grid Electric CEO and Co-Founder Xavier Helgesen discusses bringing solar power to Africa. He speaks on…www.bloomberg.com