Embedded Systems Lead Architect
Uncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple years with clean, affordable solar energy (see the articles at the bottom of this post). At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We‘re now looking for a skilled Lead Architect to help us build world-class energy solutions for Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets — billions of people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You love those uncrackable problems–the ones that you have a knack for cracking–and are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
Off Grid Electric is seeking for an Embedded Systems Lead Architect to join our team in San Francisco. The Embedded Systems Lead Architect is responsible for writing energy storage controller applications running on an embedded platform. The systems are at an early stage, so you will need to be able to contribute to cross functional system architecture, software system design, and rapid prototyping before developing a production solution. This innovative team player will be responsible for:
- Outline controller requirements based on system performance requirements
- Evaluate new topologies for controllability and fit to system needs
- Specify microcontroller requirements and drive part selection
- Develop controls strategy, and define the supporting algorithms
- Translate algorithms into software implementation, and work with the firmware team to integrate that into the firmware framework
- Test, validate, and troubleshoot controller implementation
- Support safety/compliance testing
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- 8+ years of experience (or equivalent) developing C/C++ development for real-time applications across multiple platforms.
- Similar length of experience in embedded systems and experience with RTOSs such as Linux or Vxworks with 1+ years’ experience with advanced IoT platforms & protocols such as Thread, MQTT, AMQP, CoAP, Alljoyn;
- Familiarity with low level serial communications protocols and protocol design — RS232, I2C, SPI, USB
- Strong analytical skills with solid device, circuit, and controls theory fundamentals
- Familiarity with safety and compliance standards for grid-connected power electronics
- Familiarity with various communications protocols such as WiFi, Zigbee, Power-Line Communications, BlueTooth, ZWave
- Travel to some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- The opportunity to directly improve millions of lives. By bringing sustainable electricity to a part of the world where 90% of people have no grid access. Few other activities can provide as fundamental impact to human lives as this.
- World-class medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment
Are you interested in this position and join our team in San Francisco, let’s connect and send your resume via email@example.com.
About Off Grid Electric
Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Off Grid Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day. Today, Off Grid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire.
Off Grid Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Off Grid Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit offgrid-electric.com.