Max Blumenthal Spoke to No Syrians for White Helmets Piece and Says Murtaza Hussein ‘Spoon-Fed PR’
Max Blumenthal’s remarks at the Verso/Muftah “Syria and the Left” panel contained a number of falsehoods, misleading half-truths, personal attacks, and embarrassing admissions. All of them are documented below with time-stamped hyperlinks:
Full truth: Timber Sycamore barred MANPADS from being shipped to rebel forces. Blumenthal is correct that MANPADS were sent to FSA but he is referring to one shipment during the entire five-year war of FN-6s in 2013 by the government of Qatar independently of the U.S.-led program. Since then, there have been no known or documented shipments of MANPADS to rebels by Qatar or other powers.
Full truth: The FSA has spent more years fighting against ISIS than collaborating with it.
· 1:16:16 — Hails local ceasefires as a “great idea.” These ceasefires have entailed mass starvation and mass expulsions of civilians in places like Darayya. Local ceasefires are a central component of the Assad regime’s military strategy for total victory over the both the civilian opposition and the rebels.
· 1:30:47 — Again Blumenthal interrupts someone, this time an audience member who was questioning his logic that ‘U.S. funded = pawns.’ Mrie’s answer rebuking Blumenthal’s attack on the White Helmets provoked the event’s only instance of stormy applause.
· 1:33:53 — Calls the Western-based lobbying group Syria Campaign which works closely with the While Helmets “insidious” for promoting the voices of Syrian revolutionaries on the ground who want to stop Assad’s and Russia’s relentless bombing of civilians by imposing a no-fly zone.
· 1:35:16 — Accuses fellow panelist Murtaza Hussein of being “spoon fed PR” by the Syria Campaign because Hussain wrote an article praising the White Helmets for their heroism. Blumenthal accused Hussein of being “spoon fed” again at 1:40:36.
· 1:38:38 — Blumenthal admits under direct questioning by Mrie that he did not speak to a single member of the White Helmets or any Syrians helped by the White Helmets before writing his hit pieces. He admitted for a second time that he spoke to not a single Syrian through Skype or any other means at 1:41:00 while he was ‘researching’ (read: plagiarizing) ‘his’ White Helmets smears.
Max Blumenthal’s journalism is so woke he can write stories about people and organizations without even talking to them. No wonder he’s a favorite over at the flagship of journalistic integrity known as Russia Today.