Alien Egg Tutorial

This is going to be quite a short tutorial as there isn’t much to explain. Just going to run you through the steps I took to achieve the Alien Egg which you can check out here — https://vimeo.com/238910809

*For this tutorial I used Animation Nodes. So just a heads up, if you don’t have it, head over to GitHub and get it now! It’s amazing!!!

Alright, let’s get started!

First we need to create a sphere (round cube) and subdivide it twice. Apply the subdivision and add a Cloth Simulation to the Sphere. Make the changes that you see above.

Next add a Turbulence Force Field to the center of the scene and make the relevant changes. That will give the cloth something to react with from the start of the simulation.

Next add three round cubes and subdivide them a few times. Apply the subdivision and in edit mode, make them each a slightly different size by scaling them. Then add a Collision property to each of them. You can leave the settings at their default.

Move over to the node editor and fire up Animation Nodes. We will just use it to set up the animation of the collision spheres. You can refer to the image above. We are just taking the position of the spheres and adding a wiggle to them. We pipe the location of each sphere and the wiggle into an Animate Vector node. Then we output that as the new location. We use the Time Info node to access the frame numbers and pip that into the evolution and time properties as seen above. You can ignore the bottom right set of nodes. That is just some slow camera movement but realised that you won’t notice it because I rendered on an alpha BG haha

Now that we have the collision objects animating and a cloth simulate on top of that, we can go ahead and cache the simulation! When that is complete, go ahead and add a subsurf modifier to the cloth and bump it up to level 3! Ooo, such smooth cloth :D

I noticed after I had cached that at some points the collision objects would slightly penetrate through the cloth simulation. To fix that just add a Displacement modifier, don’t create a texture, but just bring the strength down to a very low number, just to push the mesh out a bit. A dirty hack but it works :)

Lastly just add a Principled shader to the cloth object and make very few adjustments as you see above. I used a HDRI to light the scene and that was that.

Quick and easy :) Please shout if you have any questions!!

Happy Blending!