🔥What Kanye West taught me over the past decade 🔥
I was recently reflecting on my sources of inspiration over the past few years. They’re always changing, but one man has been on that list as long as I can remember: Kanye West. If you’re not a fan, I urge you to read on as you might be surprised by what I came up with.
My favorite Kanye quote by far:
I cannot describe the euphoria I felt hearing him rap those words live at Key Arena last year, the same building I graduated from Seattle University!!!
He’s referencing Magic Johnson living with HIV since 1991 — the same year I was born. NO COINCIDENCE.
From his music, interviews, and rants here’s a few things I’ve learned over the past decade:
- Own who you are, even if everyone hates you for it
- Speak your mind when you know it’s the right thing to say
- Exaggerate when praising others, make it sound like they’ve done twice as much good
- Work your ass off when an opportunity comes your way
- Setbacks are a source of pride
- Conquering pain is a source of pride
- Life is dynamic, don’t let anyone box you into a certain way of being
- Polarize. Be extreme when you need an extreme result
- Connection to your own soul is more important than any material object
- Join the greats (Jay-Z) and allow them to catapult you to your dreams
- As human beings, we are insanely powerful… but we forget easily
- Every day is a celebration of the blessings and journey we’ve been on
- Think, walk, talk, and work with your own unique energy and swagger — build it into your personality, don’t forget where you came from.
- If you love something, it’s okay to obsess about how much you love it (music, art, movies, food, fashion, etc)
- Always aspire for greatness