Tooltime 2017! Our Monthly SaaS Bill, Revisited
It’s been more than 2 years since I’ve posted about the SaaS toolkit we’re using at Swat.io & Walls.io. Reading Christoph Janz’ post about Point Nine’s stack, I felt it’s about time to do a quick update (for myself, mostly).
A lot has changed in the past 2+ years! Our team grew from 9 to 22, which brought a lot more tools, especially in the marketing/business department. Obviously, spending increased as well, which is what I want to focus on in this post.
- We’re two SaaS products rolled into one company, so we share licenses wherever possible (legit)
- I’ve excluded everything purely hosting (f.e AWS), but included Hosting/Ops related stuff (f.e Pingdom)
- For products with a fulfilment-based cost component (f.e Printfection), I’ve only included the monthly, recurring base amount
Still, the total cost might be a good indication what a typical, small SaaS is spending on other SaaS in 2017 :) Without further ado, here’s our SaaS shopping list!
- In total, we spend about EUR3000/month for SaaS. Given the value we get (and and share in total spending), this feels very low to me (+200%)
- We’re currently using 31 SaaS products in total (+50%)
- On average, we pay EUR93/month for a SaaS product (shockingly low ;)
- Our total cost per month trippled since 2015 (more tools, more seats)
- Most is spent on Intercom (marketing), Timr (HR), Prescreen (HR)
- We’re still using most tools we’ve been using 2 years ago (we stopped using Crazy Egg, LiveChat [replaced by Intercom], Mandrill [replaced by Postmark] and a few others)
- Notable newcomers include Prescreen (HR), Printfection (Swag on demand), Timr (HR)
- Marketing & HR are the drivers of growth, in terms of cost.
That’s about it! :) Now, what’s your monthly SaaS bill look like?