Summary of Topics relating to Tawheed
Conditions of Tawheed (Al shart al Tawheed)
- Ilm: to have knowledge about ‘Laa ilaha illallah’ (the reason we are studying this)
- Yaqeen: To believe with certainty
- Quboul: To accept it unconditionally
- Inqiyaad: To submit to it and work according to it
- Sidq: Believing it and accepting anything that comes with it
- Ikhlas: To have sincerity in faith
- Mahabbah: To love Allah (swt) and the shahadah
N.B. Some scholars added other conditions such as; to die on Islam. But that is part of the 7 conditions if understood comprehensively.
Arqan al Tawheed: (Two) Pillars of Tawheed
- “la ilaaha” (Al Kufr Bit Taghut.. to reject all taghut)
- “illa Allah” (Al Ēmān Billah.. to bring ēmān in Allah)
Allah (swt) says: “There is no compulsion in the deen, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path, whoever rejects taghut, and believes in Allah, he has got a firm hold of the most trustworthy handhold that will never break, and Allah is the All hearing, all knowing.” [2: 256]
Al Urwathil Wuthqa (trustworthy handhold) is the kamilah la ilaaha ilallah.”
“la ilaaha” (Al Kufr Bit Taghut.. to reject all taghut)
>> So, who is a Taghut?
The Taaghut himself is a Kafir and Mushrik. He is differentiated in the term ‘taaghut’ because he is extreme in his Kufr, that he also misleads others, that he calls others to his own worship or obedience or following, against the sole rights of Allah. The false idols of pagans is only one type of taaghut.
And this shows that the Kuffār are divided into two types:
- Tawāghīt and they are their Leaders and Callers
- Kuffār and they are the rest.
Laa ilaaha — is making takfir on the false ilaah and its followers.
Ibn al Qayyim(rahimullaah) explains..
“The Taghoot is all that which causes the person to exceed the limits with regards to that which is worshiped, followed, or obeyed. So the Taghoot in any nation is whosoever turns to other than Allah and His Messenger for matters of judgement; or is pleased to be worshiped besides Allah; or is followed without a clear proof from Allah; or is obeyed in that which is known to be disobedience to Allah.”
Heads of taghut [link]
>> How to do kufr (disbelief) on taghut
- Shahadah : declare it is falsehood [22:62]
- Ijtinaab : keep distance from all types of taghut [16:36]
- Al-Adou’a : declare enemity to all types of taghut [60:4]
- Al-Bughd : hate all types of taghut
- Al-Takfeer : declare all taghut and their followers as kaafir
N.B. To add, Scholars have explained, the above 5 actions are general and applicable to the taghut as well its followers. A muslims actions follow his inner beliefs. A munafiqs/hypocrites inner & outer are different.
Allah (swt) says: ‘We sent to every Ummah a messenger to command the people to submit to Allah exclusively and to reject Taghoot’. [Qur’an 16:36]
وَلَقَدْ بَعَثْنَا فِي كُلِّ أُمَّةٍ رَّسُولًا أَنِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ وَاجْتَنِبُوا الطَّاغُوتَ
“illa Allah” (Al Ēmān Billah.. to bring ēmān in Allah)
- Iman is by heart, tongue and limbs/actions
- How to do Ēmān Billaah [leaflet detail].
- Rububiyyah (rab — Oneness in His ownership of everything)
- Uluhiyyah (ilah — Oneness in Him being sole entity of worship) Also called Tawheed ‘Ibadah.
- Asma-wa-Sifaat (names & attributes — Oneness in His names & attributes)
- Hakamiyyah (legislation — Oneness in lawmaking. many scholars treat it part of Uluhiyah)
- All the categories can be incorporated into Uluhiyyah.
- Likewise shirk akbar (greater shirk) can be classified into shirk of 4 corresponding categories.
- any action which is a condition for the correctness of Īmān(faith), leaving it is Kufr (disbeleif).
Some scholars classified tawheed based on our knowledge of Allah vs actions towards Allah
- Tawheed ul ma’rifah wal ithbat (knowledge and affirmation)
eg: Rububiyyah, Asma was Sifaat (actions & attributes of Allah)
- Tawheed ul qasd wal iraadah (actions and intentions)
eg: Uluhiyyah (actions of the creation)
Complete meaning of La ilaaha illa Allah
Tawheed is defined as,
“Al-Ifraad ul Ubudiyyah lillah — Worshipping Allah exclusively”.
For, this exclusivity, one is required to negate everything else that is worshipped against Allah.
This is the reason the kalimatu-tawheed,
- starts with “Laa ilaaha” — which is negating, rejecting, declaring disassociation and disbelief (takfir) upon everything that is against Allah’s rights.
- follows “illa-Allah” — which is giving Allah all His rights.
What are Allah’s rights?
“La ma’booda bi haqqi ilallah, la muta’a bi haqqi ilallah, la matbouun bi haqqi ilallah”
- La ma’booda bi haqqi ilallah “there is none truly worthy of worship except Allah”
- La muta’a bi haqqi ilallah “there is none truly worthy of obeying except Allah”
- La matbouun bi haqqi ilallah “there is none truly worthy of following except Allah”
“there is none truly worthy of obeying AND following AND worshiping except Allah”
N.B. Again Muta’a & Matbou are also included into Ma’bood, as Ma’bood implies other two. So when Ma’bood (worship) is mentioned alone, it also means other two.
Few Major nullifiers of Tawheed/Islam/Ēmān
- Shirk in the obedience, worship Of Allah
- Intermediaries between you and Allah
- Believing that mushrikeen are not disbelievers
- Believing that guidance by someone or ruling other than what was revealed to Mohammad ﷺ is better
- Hating any of the Prophet ﷺ message despite practicing it
- Mocking or ridiculing any part of islam
- Involvement in Sorcery i.e. believing in sorcerers, fortune-tellers, astrologers etc.
- Supporting or assisting the mushrikeen against muslims
- Believing that implementing shariah of Mohammad ﷺ is only a choice and some people are free from it
- Turning away from Allah’s religion. Not learning or implementing it. (reason we are learning tawheed)
Kalima at-Tawheed in Glorious Qur’an
Tawheed is glorified by Allah in different ways in qur’an [detailed]
- Al Kalimatul Husna (The best word)
- Al Urwathil Wuthqa (The most trustworthy handhold)
- Al Kalimatu Taqwa (The word of piety)
- Al Qawol al Thaabit (The firm word)
- Al Kalimatu Tayyibah (The goodly word)
- Al Kalimatul Haq al Ulya (The word of truth and the highest one)
“Whoever doesn’t know shirk, then he doesn’t know al-Tawhīd”
فمن لم يعرف الشرك لم يعرف التوحيد
Tawheed — Seven conditions, Two pillars and top 10 nullifiers. Every muslim should know it.
Other aspects related to tawheed
- Al Wala Wal Bar’a (Love and hate for sake of Allah) [more:https://www.evernote.com/shard/s609/sh/0e5723e1-12ee-4fdf-9478-a432199ad0c3/9da0bfec3a481da3cff0dec486932856]
- Commanding good forbidding evil (Amr mil ma’aruf, nahi al munkar)
Please take time to read and learn each topic extensively..