The 2019 Spring Thing Festival of Interactive Fiction
I’m very pleased to announce that the 2019 Spring Thing Festival of Interactive Fiction, an annual event for the last eighteen years, is now live!
This year, there are twenty entries spread across two categories. Authors chose whether to submit games to the Main Festival, where they are eligible for ribbon nominations and a prize pool, or the Back Garden, which opts out of ribbons and prizes but has looser entry requirements (including allowing excerpts from unfinished or commercial games).
In the Main Festival:
- Among the Seasons, by Kieran Green — Twine
- Bullhockey 2: The Return of the Leather Whip, by B F Lindsay — Inform/Glulx
- Darkness, by Jeff Schomay — Elm Narrative Engine
- Dashiell Hamlett: The Blue Dane Meets the Black Bird, by Tony Pisculli — Ink
- The Devil and the Mayor, by Jonathan Laury — Twine
- Do I Date?, by Aurora Kakizaki — Ren’Py
- The Empty Chamber — A Celia Swift Mystery, by Tom Sykes — Inform/Glulx
- Escape!, by Marnix van den Bos — XVAN
- Founder’s Mercy, by Thomas Insel — Inform/Glulx
- I Will Be Your Eyes And Hands, by Cam Miller — Twine
- The Missing Ring, by Felicity Drake — Twine
- Our Darkest Thoughts, by Jesse Villa — Twine
- Porter Cave Adventure, by Cam Miller — Inform/Z
- Quiet, by Martyna “Lisza” Wasiluk — Twine
- San Francisco, 2118, by Leah Case — Twine
- WE R THE WORLD, by Dan Hoy & Mike Kleine — Twine
- Writing Program Five, by Dan Cox — Twine
In the Back Garden:
- 69105 More Keys 1, by Andrew Schultz — Inform/Z
- The Ballroom, by Liza Daly — Windrift
- a short walk in the spring, by Amorphous — Twine
On a personal note, the Spring Thing was one of the places I first got my feet wet as an IF author, so it’s been an honor and privilege each year to help keep it alive. The festival largely flies under the radar, but has been a launching point over the last two decades for a number of influential games and gamemakers. It’s well worth checking out.
Congratulations to all this year’s authors, and a big thank you to all the prize donors. Enjoy the festival!