180 Websites In 180 Days: Day 1

I have decided to do my own version of Jennifer Dewalt‘s “180 Websites in 180 Days”! Like her I will be posting the codes on Github and blogging every day! There are a few reasons why I want to do this challenge:

  1. To force myself to learn new frameworks and actually apply them.
  2. To practice techniques I am familiar with but need to get better at.
  3. To apply what I already know in new ways.

There are a couple key differences between Jennifer’s challenge and my own. Namely that I have a few months of coding experience and I could use some of her project ideas. Not needing to create all 180 ideas will save both time and my sanity. But let’s not waste anymore time and get right into it.

Today I decided I wanted to practice utilizing data from API’s. I created a web page that uses the Dictionary API from Merriam-Webster to check if the user input is a word in their dictionary. The page displays whether it is a word or not and if it is, it will display the results with definitions that it found. I ran into some initial problems with this page when I began getting the data. It was in XML format when I had only used JSON. Instead of finding a new API, I decided to tough it out and it actually wasn’t difficult at all to use.

Check it out (on Codepen or Github) and let me know what you think and what I could do better!

Hope you guys stay tuned for the full 180 days!