TikTok Brand Takeover: Everything You Need to Know
TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service that came into existence in 2017. It focuses on creating short dance videos, lip-sync talent videos and comedy skits. As of 2019, it is the second most downloaded app in the world with over 1.5 billion downloads. It has then right from 2018, surpassed the download numbers of Instagram and Snapchat. TikTok apart from creating of short dance videos, and lip-syncing, it also has a database of songs and visual effects. It allows just a 15 seconds record time.
So, putting all these functions it is easy to guess the category of users of this app. It is basically within the age bracket of 16–25. It is not a gainsaying to say TikTok has boosted the video editing prowess of the folks online. TikTok offers a lot for the folks who are teens and teenagers, this has a direct economic impact on the owners of TikTok. Advertising has left the shores of pamphlets, and flyers to a more sophisticated form which is digital. Companies and organisations are willing to pay huge stacks of money to reach out to the targeted audience. This targeted audience is what TikTok has been able to keep on its app. So, TikTok is one of the big wigs in the social media platform for advertising with hundreds of millions of active users who are young adults.
How it Works and Pricing
With so many numbers in its favour and category of users, TikTok is not a place for brands who can not afford some reasonable amount for a service that would be rendered, only a few big wigs can afford to do so. An Ads unit on TikTok cost about $8 per cost-per-thousand impressions in the UnitedKingdom and it is required of an advertiser to spend a minimum of $25,000. One major thing to note is that the Premium access ads unit of TikTok is managed by the client’s own sales team on behalf of media buyers. Because of the value and direct effect of TikTok, buyers tend to look away from the hefty prices of the ads as they are new and assumed to not be a cheap inventory like Snapchat and Instagram. So, the 6 options rolled out by TikTok are:
· Hashtag Challenge: this is the TikTok flagship style for advertising. It allows the advertisers to set up outstanding and creative dance or comedy challenges under a hashtag. This gives unrestricted customisation access to the advertiser to include official music to be on the challenge, and special content protection to avoid videos being restricted from the challenge. Also, the Brand Takeover and a day ads are included in this package, worth $130,000.
· Brand Takeover: This format swaps the user post someone for a three-second image or three-five-second video that will take over the screen when the app is opened. The minimum cost of this category is $53,000 per day. This allows only one specific advertiser to take over the category for a day.
· In-feed native video (One Day Max & Brand Premium): For One Day Max Native Video, it is 15 seconds long video ads which are going to be shown in-feeds for just a day. It cost $25,000 for 3.6 million impressions. While Brand Premium is a random video placed in the first 130 in-feed videos when users watch video on the app. It costs $25,000 for this kind of package.
· Top View Ads: Top View Ads surfaces whenever the app is opened. It is somewhat like Take over Ads. They, Top View Ads, are videos that last up to 60-seconds with the sound n. It cost $65,000 per day and has an impression of 7.4 million impressions.
· Branded Lenses/ Effect: This allows advertisers to add 2D animated lenses that are triggered either by face or hand movement. It is created by TikTok in house creative and cost about $45,000.
While all these costs are on the high side, there is one that is not pricey like them. It is “Custom Influencer”. The TikTok Creator Marketplace has helped with putting this in place. This is regarded as the best way to get a viral content on TikTok The packages include; Mid-tier package( 5 influencers with less than a million followers and cost $12, 000), Top-tier package (5 influencers too but with one and a half million followers and cost $35,000), Value Hybrid package (a smorgasbord of talent with two top-tier creators and three mid-tiers creators and cost $20,000) and Premium Hybrid package ( mix of “VIP” influencers with more than 500 followers, two top-tiers creator and two mid-tier creators and cost $30,000).
Some Top Companies using TikTok and their success story.
TikTok has enjoyed the attention of various big companies and organisation which include Vodafone Ireland, eBay, Balenciaga, Fonter, Sports direct x PUMA, KIA, Mercedes-Benz, Colgate, Moov, Congate, Oppo, Rexona and Universal Pictures among others.
Vodafone: uses Top View format (Impressions 1.7 million; more than 350, 000 clicks and engagement of about 21.64%).
eBay: TikTok Top View ad (impressions 17.8million; 17.3 CTR and 16.9M video views)
Balenciaga: Top View ad (impressions 23+ million; 18% CTR and 25M+ total video views)
Sports direct x PUMA: Hashtag challenge (impression 154m; 113K videos created, 19.59% CTR and 1.46m+ challenge page views).
Mercedes-Benz: Hashtag challenge (total participants 73K+, 180M+ total video made and 30k+ new followers).
Universal Pictures: Hashtag challenge (1.3m likes on influencer videos, 19k+ user-generated videos and 11k+ followers gained in 6 days).
How to get started and contact TikTok to Advertise
To get started on TikTok to place ads, logon to their business website and follow the instructions on how to get started.