Browsers: Rendering Engines & JS Engines
Rendering Engines & JS Engines for each major browser
This implies better performance. 🏎
- Fork of WebKit
- Developed in-house by Google as part of The Chromium Project, a project “to open-source the code for the Google Chrome browser”
- Developed in-house by Google as part of The Chromium Project
- Used in Node.js!
- Developed in-house by Mozilla
- Written in Rust!
- Created by Apple as a fork of the KHTML and KJS engines from Konqueror, a web browser developed by KDE.
- Nitro (formerly SquirrelFish)
- A fork of Internet Explorer’s Trident that was made not-shitty.
- Open-sourced as ChakraCore.
- In 2016, Microsoft created a PR in the Node.js GitHub repo to use ChakraCore instead of V8. This PR was expanded out into its own project and now lives here as a project of the node organization.
Opinions expressed in these articles do not reflect those of my employer.