Jovago Pakistan Hospitality Report 2017 — Interesting Insights of Pakistan’s Hospitality Industry
Jovago Pakistan, (an online hotel booking website) is a joint venture of “The Asia Pacific Internet Group” and “Rocket Internet venture”. It has over 2000 properties on board.
Jovago Pakistan has recently launched their second hospitality report officially under the name of “Hospitality Report Pakistan 2017”.
The event took place on 15th March 2017 in presence of Nadine Malik, CEO of Jovago Asia and Tina Wang, the MD of Jovago Pakistan.
The report has some great insights related to the hospitality industry of Pakistan.
Before we proceed to the hospitality industry insights extracted through Jovago Pakistan’s research and data, let me share some interesting facts about Pakistan.
Pakistan’s Hospitality Industry Outlook
1. By 2025, it is forecasted that Pakistan will have 1,742,000 tourist arrivals.
2. According to the stats of 2015, Pakistan’s travel and tourism industry generated around 1,429,500 jobs.
3. In 2015, travel and tourism investment were 342.8 billion PKR with 7.6% per year projected growth for next 10 years.
4. In next 5 years at least 10 new hotels by world’s top hotel chains is expected to establish.
5. In 2016, the hotel occupancy increased up to 80%. In the previous year, it was 35% only.
6. In 2016, 5 new 5- star hotel permits were issued in Gwadar.
7. Leisure travel spending generated 84.9% of direct travel and tourism GDP in 2015.
8. Business travel spending was 15.1% of direct travel and tourism in 2015
9. Domestic spending in travel and tourism industry was 90.8% while foreign visitors spending was 9.2%.
10. Naran, Kaghan, Hunza, Swat, and Murree are some of the most popular tourist destinations of Pakistan while Karachi, Lahore, and Islamabad
1. It was estimated that by the end of 2016 there will be around 40 million smartphone users.
2. 17.8% of Pakistanis have internet connections making Pakistan one of the lucrative markets for e-commerce.
3. In next 5 years, it is expected that around 28% (56 million) of the Pakistani population will have internet access.
4. Pakistan’s e-commerce industry is expected to reach over USD 600 million by 2017
In 2017 Pakistan is forecasted to be the world’s fastest growing Muslim economy ahead of countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, and Egypt. Considering the projected internet penetration, it clearly explains the expected potential for local and global businesses in e-commerce arena.
Research, Data, Facts and Figures Extracted by Jovago Pakistan
It has always been an interesting aspect for the marketers and stakeholders to identify that how much in advance the searchers search and buy a product or service. When it comes to Jovago Pakistan below is the table providing an insight that in how to advance a searcher searches for a hotel online.
· 34% people searches online same day.
· 30% searches online in 24 hours.
· 11 % people searches online in less than 2 days.
· 6% people searches online 3 days before
· 4% searches online 4 days before
· 3% searches online 5 days before
· 2% searches online 6 days before
· 2% searches online 7 days before
· 6% searches online before 7+ days and
· 2% searches online a month before
Some Great Insights
According to the data provided by Jovago Pakistan, 61% of searchers prefer searching hotel through their smartphones compared to 39% who prefer searching by computers. Interestingly when it comes to booking a hotel, the stats are completely opposite where 63% of visitors book the hotel by computers while only 37% click on smartphones.
Breaking down the hotel bookers on a gender basis, 80% of hotels are booked by men. Interestingly Female engagement while hotel booking has increased from 8% to 20% over the past year.
Hotel Preferences by Pakistanis
According to the research done, the majority of the Pakistanis still prefer staying in a 3-star hotel over others. The stats show that:
· 36% of Pakistanis prefer a 3-star hotel
· 32% people prefer 2-star hotel
· 20% people prefer 4-star hotel
· 10% people prefer 1-star hotel and
· 2% of the population prefer 5-star hotels
The insights presented by Jovago are extremely helpful to predict that the hospitality industry and e-tourism will grow in upcoming years.