Tutorial Tuesday: How to Set Up App Extensions on Google AdWords
It’s time the world knows about your fresh new mobile app:
Once you’ve mastered the basic search campaign, you may have notice that there are a number of extensions available to help polish your ad for different scenarios.
We’ve covered the most important ones except one:
In 10 words or less, the app extension: adds an app download button next to your search ad. As you can see below, the popular mobile game Clash of Clans uses an AdWords App Extension for their ads.
The app extension, as you will soon discover, has a few additional features to help you hyper-target your ad. For one, you can choose to have the app extension show only on mobile. If you make the same search for “Clash of Clans” on desktop, you will see this:
Supercell has chosen to display the app extension only on mobile. Finding the right time and place for app extensions is a tricky task, but with some practice and some insightful analytics, you can find your niche.
Starting from the “All Campaigns” default view:
- Select the [Ad extensions] tab
- You should then see a box for [View: App extensions] click this to view the extensions dropdown
- Select [App Extension]
You can apply App extensions on the whole account level, campaign level, or ad group level. Select the proper toggle menu based on the desired campaign level. *Tip* this could be a great time to A/B test similar ads, changing which extensions are used so you can measure effectiveness of the various extensions.
- Click [+EXTENSION]
- Select [+ New app]
📲 Creating the extension 📲
- Select your desired Operating System. If you’re on both Apple’s App Store and Android’s Google Play store, make two separate ads for this. Be sure to select the OS that matches the app store your app is on. You don’t want people on android trying to download your App Store app
- Next, search for your app on the Google Play or iTunes Store
- Choose what the button says, which we highly recommend choosing a direct call-to-action like “Download Now!” “Download for free!”
- As we mentioned above, you can restrict the ad to mobile. I personally recommend selecting this feature if you’re advertising a mobile app.
- After you are satisfied, click [Save]
- To make sure your app is active, it should be visible on the right hand side of the screen. The left hand side is inactive.
Thanks for learning with us today! As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out in the comments or on twitter, using the hashtag #askAdHawk