My 10 Favorite Stories Of 2015
This was a crazy year for me as a writer. I started down this road in 2013, when I was laid off from my full-time content management gig. In the beginning, I wrote a lot of content for companies that was really soul-sucking work, but paid the bills in my time of transition.
By the beginning of 2015, I’d sort of found my footing. I was writing regularly at the Dallas Observer, had published a few national stories, and I was ready to broaden my impact. I made a list of publications where I wanted to see my words, and set out on pitching them. I didn’t hit every single one on the list — it’s still a work in progress – but I’m proud of the work I did in 2015. Here are some of my favorites.
- I wrote about Sturgill Simpson, the man who could save country music from the bros, for Playboy.
- I dove deep into the insane, bizarre Instagram fandom of Dance Moms for Jezebel, which resulted in thousands of teenagers stalking my Instagram account for months.
- I covered the opening of Cafe Momentum, a Dallas restaurant that changes the lives of at-risk, non-violent teenage offenders, for The Atlantic’s CityLab. I cried. A lot.
- I filed my first piece at Salon, about Nashville ABC’s Rayna Jaymes, my country music feminist icon. Best part: Connie Britton herself tweeted a thank you. I died shortly thereafter.
- Also for Salon, I wrote about the frequently-harrowing experience of being a woman at a concert.
- For the first time maybe ever, I wrote a defense of a Republican in response to the sexist, ableist rhetoric surrounding Dallas district attorney Susan Hawk for the Texas Observer.
- I had the pleasure of reviewing Sleater-Kinney’s Dallas performance at The Granada Theater, checking off an item very high on my musical bucket list.
- I did an investigative piece on the confusing state of grass-fed beef and beef labeling for Civil Eats, which was picked up by TIME.com.
- I wrote about “Tomatogate” for VICE’s Noisey, and also about how the women of country music kicked all the ass in 2015.
- I wrote about a skincare-obsessed subreddit, r/SkincareAddiction, for Cosmopolitan.
There are definitely more than ten stories on this list, but picking your favorites is sort of like picking a favorite child. Here’s to a happy, productive 2016.