11 of the most unexpected things in vending machines
Let’s face it — pretty much the first things that come to your mind when you think of a vending machine are mainly chips and chocolates. Occasionally a few ones will have beverages, coffee and tea, but not that many. However, it turns out that nowadays all across the world, there are a variety of things that can be found in vending machines, from the unexpected to the shockingly amazing as well. Here are a few examples :-
- Live Crabs: Yes, this is not an exaggeration in the least. No one would’ve ever thought of this. And live ones to boot. If you happen to be a seafood lover and are on a vacation to China anytime soon, you know what to do.
- Ready-to-eat Pizza: Quite the unbelievable scenario but true. Look out for a Let’s Pizza machine the next time you happen to be backpacking around Europe and lo, you’ll have a smoking hot 9 inch pizza popping out within 3 minutes.
- Ice Cream: Turn out when we all scream for ice cream in a machine, that’s exactly what we get! Now this concept was mainly popularised in Japan, but even Ben and Jerry’s has a couple of them floating around.
- T-Shirts: Yet another delight from Japan, this vending machine in Harajuku manages to dispense a whole line of clothing.
- Guitar Strings: Guitarists rejoice! In Portland, Oregon, this is your ideal fix if you happen to be on the way for a jam or gig and feel that your current strings are too rusty. To make things even better, the machine also dispenses guitar picks and drumsticks as well!
- Noodles: Granted a lot of food purists would scoff at this option not to mention that noodles aren’t exactly the healthiest snack out there, but whenever you have that craving and you happen to be in Japan, you have both the options of having them with meat and veggies so knock yourself out.
- Cupcakes: Mainly found in L.A., Chicago, New York and Atlanta, go all out and indulge your sweet tooth with these Sprinkles Cupcakes. Definitely another form of heaven, to say the least.
- Bananas: Suffice to say, you would probably go bananas over such a machine. Then again, who wouldn’t? Found in, you guessed it right again, Japan!
- Burgers: Looking for a quick bite every step of the way? Then it doesn’t really coffee vending machines get any better than this. These vending machines are found both in The Netherlands and Japan (no surprise there).
- LEGO: Now this is truly a first, unfortunately only found in the train stations of Germany. Quite strange indeed, but if you’re (still) a LEGO fan, hop on I’d say.
- Pet Food: Talk about a real innovative idea. In Istanbul, you merely slot in an empty plastic bottle at the top and the machine dispenses food at the bottom for all the stray cats and dogs. Clearly we need more of these machines for sure.
Just remember that there is no end to the variety of things one can find in vending machines, provided you are ready to take a closer look. Just remember that the next time you travel abroad and if you happen to be an avid lover of vending machines, you are in for a treat. And lastly, Japan is one country that happens to be a haven for coffee vending machines of all shapes and sizes. Then again, this fact is glaringly evident in the list above.
In any case, whoever invented this machine is one hell of a genius for the simple reason being that you wouldn’t need a person to sell you the same stuff that a vending machine could keep instead, plus due to the size, you could keep things in ample stock as well.