CALL, WRITE, EMAIL LEGISLATORS NOW TO FUND EDUCATION IN SEATTLE!
One of the most progressive, highly educated and wealthy cities in America fails to fund basic education?
I’m a middle class mother of two. I leave in Seattle. One of the best places to live! I have made my own in this country. Sole bread-winner of a family of four. I am so thankful for everything I have worked so hard for…a house, car, food, roof and a successful career. But I depend on having decent social platforms for basic needs: security, health, education, roads. We were lucky that we were able to buy a house in a good school district. We pay taxes and vote for all kinds of levies that help fund public services that we all use. You know, basic math. If we distribute the costs among all of us, it’s cheaper per head. So I hold my end of the bargain.
- Make classes bigger
- Lay off nurses, librarians and school counselors
- Lay off Admin staff
And that still leaves $11M in deficit that basically leaves no choice but to lay off TEACHERS.
“The state only pays 70 cents for every dollar it costs to provide our students with the bare minimum of services. Each school year, our Seattle community provides an additional $100 million dollars in salary compensation, which is a state responsibility.”
Unless the Legislature takes action to address school funding, the district has a projected deficit of $74 million for the 2017–18 school year.
Yep. I know, WTF. Where is my legislature to hold their end of the bargain?
The depressing message concludes with the (rhetorical) question of what you can do. Well, we can’t ask you to lobby but we can ask you to share how your child won’t have any chance in hell to become well educated or have a fighting chance to have a self-sufficient human being because you do not make enough money to send your kids to private school — in other words, you’re looser. Or something like that. I’m paraphrasing.
So this is me sharing that message in outrage. And also, I did some googling to find what you (me) can actually do. Who are these legislators that want to ruin my children and yours? And here they are in a nice table for your convenience.
So If you can take a lunch break…
[UPDATE Jan 13, 2017]:
The funding task force no longer exists because it ended with a 4/4/ vote Dem vs Rep. Guess who voted against funding education for our kids?
I have talked to a great aide at Kristine Lytton’s office and she’s guided me to what to do.
- We need as many people as we can to email the R people. Stay tuned for the updated list.
- There is a Jan 19 meeting on K-12 funding and we can sign up for testifying. We get 2–3 minutes.
— — -> EMAIL/CONTACT APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE. Everything you need is here.
- Representative Kristine Lytton, Olympia Office 368 John L. O’Brien Building PO Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7800
- Senator Ann Rivers, Co-Chair. Olympia Office 204 Irv Newhouse Building PO Box 40418 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7634
- Senator Andy Billig Olympia Office 412 Legislative Building PO Box 40403 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7604
- Senator John Braun Olympia Office 303 John A. Cherberg Building PO Box 40420 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7638
- Representative Paul Harris Olympia Office 403 John L. O’Brien Building PO Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7976
- Senator Christine Rolfes Olympia Office 233 John A. Cherberg Building PO Box 40423 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7644
- Representative Norma Smith Olympia Office 435 John L. O’Brien Building PO Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7884
- Representative Pat Sullivan Olympia Office 339A Legislative Building PO Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504 (360) 786–7858
- Matt Steuerwalt, Executive Director of Policy, Office of the Governor
House Staff Phone
Jessica Harrell, Fiscal Analyst (360) 786–7349
Kristen Fraser, Counsel (360) 786–7148
Ethan Moreno, Research Analyst (360) 786–7386
Lisa McCollum, Legislative Assistant (360) 786–7155
Senate Staff Phone
Jeff Mitchell, Fiscal Counsel (360) 786–7438
Susan Mielke, Counsel (360) 786–7422
Alia Kennedy, Counsel (360) 786–7405
Jasmin Adams, Committee Assistant (360) 786–7716