Keurig (model: K10 mini) Usability Test
Before conducting a test on the keurig my group and I had to brainstorm first. Our brainstorming process included the different tasks we would have the users do while making coffee. We wanted to make sure that these tasks would be very simple to do yet have room for error by the users. After we found a coffee maker to use for our test we realized that every coffee maker works differently. For example, the model we had had no filter so we had to switch one of our tasks.
We changed our third task to add the k-cup. Afterwards we came up with the different data points that we can measure during our usability test. We measured time, amount of things pressed on the machine, and the users levels of frustration. We then came up with the directions we would ask the user. After that we had three different types of users take out usability test, one that was experienced with both the coffee maker and the model, another that was familiar with coffee makers but not the model, and finally one that was inexperienced with coffee makers and the model.
During this sprint I was able to take away more from it. I realized that when coming up with a product it’s not just about developing something new but you must also know what the user thinks or if they actually know how to use it. A coffee maker for example, is a simple machine or so I thought. To be honest I have never used one so I think it would have been easier for me as well as my group if we were at least familiar with coffee makers and the type of model we used. While conducting the tests I asked myself if the results of the experiment would have been different if I intervened during the process. It would have also been a lot better if we would have been able to listen back to the video of the users testing the coffee maker. I believe that what they said during the test is very valuable towards the results as well as the product.
Along this project there were a couple things that I really enjoyed. I liked the fact that we were able to conduct our own experiment on a product and see how each person reacted to it. To me this was definitely a challenge simply because I have never used a coffee maker so seeing how the users struggled made me reflect on the fact that maybe this could be my product making me wonder how to improve the coffee maker. This project definitely put me in a position as a developer and I really liked that part.