Joy: Scriptures from the New Testament: 20 Bible Verses
“Joy is a feeling of great pleasure and happiness,” says the Dictionary.
“Joy is an emotion in response to a pleasant observation or a remembrance thereof. The reason for a joyful reaction is usually that some expectation or need has been satisfied.
Joy differs from happiness in that it is an emotion. Happiness, on the other hand, is what we might think of as a feeling, which is more fleeting. Joy may be thought of as “the emotional dimension of the good life, of a life that is both going well and is being lived well.”
In the statement above, Wikipedia goes on to define Joy further and even tries to spell out the differences between Joy and Happiness.
While the above definitions by the dictionary and Wikipedia sound good, I think Joy goes even beyond the above descriptions.
Joy is deeper than a feeling!
Joy is enduring and durable!
Joy is greater than just an emotion!
Joy can’t be bought but it can be shared!
Joy goes further than satisfaction of expected needs!
Joy is being content even in the midst of chaos, disappointments and pain!
Joy fills all the crevices, holes, gaps and tears that suffering and loss present!
Joy is looking at the mess in your life but radiating a positive spirit nonetheless!
Joy is feeling pain and somehow not allowing it shadow the magnificence of God!
With all these ideas on Joy, let’s delve into scripture to read on what the Bible tells us about Joy!
- His lord said unto him, well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. ~ Matthew 25:23
- And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. ~ Luke 1:14
- For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. ~ Luke 1:44
- And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. ~ Luke 10:17
- I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. ~ Luke 15:7
- These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. ~ John 15:11
- Ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. ~ John 16:20
- And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you. ~ John 16:22
- Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. ~ John 16:24
- Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance. ~ Acts 2:28
- And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost. ~ Acts 13:52
- For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. ~ Romans 14:17
- Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. ~ Romans 15:13
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. ~ Galatians 5:22–23
- Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. ~ Philippians 2:2
- Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. ~ Hebrews 12:2
- My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. ~ James 1:2–4
- But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. ~ 1 Peter 4:13
- I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. ~ 3 John 1:4
- Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. ~ Jude 1:24–25
We pray your lives are filled with Joy and the abundance of the Lord’s blessings!
~ With love Tikva ~
Originally published at Ahavaha.