Global Education: The Change Starts Now!
Nelson Mandela said once: Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
With the help of the global community, more children in the world have access to education but unfortunately even with all the efforts of the world’s population combined, more than 50 million children are still denied the right to education. In 2012, 31 million primary-school pupils worldwide dropped out of school and an additional 32 million repeated a grade.
Quality Education is without a doubt the answer to:
- End poverty and hunger.
- Improve health and well-being.
- Foster economic prosperity.
- Change attitudes to empower women to make healthy decisions about their lives. For example, women in Mali with a secondary level education or higher have an average of 3 children, while those with no education have an average of 7, and this increases the number of deaths and diseases.
But quality education today faces many constraints, some of them are:
- Lack of inspiring teachers: statistics show that by 2020, 12.6 million primary teachers need to be recruited.
- Lack of access to necessary materials and facilities: in some countries there is only one book for 14 students and in some schools, they don’t even have access to decent toilets which forces some children especially girls to drop out.
As we can see, education is facing major problems. But if we combine our resources and efforts we can change these scary numbers, because we need to be the change of tomorrow and we must be the answer for a better world.
Do you believe that quality education is the key to solve today’s problems? Do you want to take part in making this world a better place? Take your first step now and sign-up here: https://opportunities.aiesec.org/ you will find amazing opportunities waiting for you to do so.