Skype for Business Online users can’t communicate with external contacts
www.office.com/setup Blogs: PROBLEM
www.office.com/setup Blogs: You experience one of the following symptoms in Skype for Business Online (formerly Lync Online):
- Instant messages aren’t delivered to external contacts. When you try to send an instant message to an external contact in Skype for Business Online, you receive the following error message:
- This message was not delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org because the address is outside your organization and is not federated with your company, or the address is incorrect. Please contact your support team with this information.
- Note In this error message, email@example.com is a placeholder.
- The following error message may also be recorded in the Lync 2010 UCCAPI logs:
- 403 Forbidden: From URI not authorized to communicate with federated partners.
- Presence is unknown for an external contact. When you search for the external contact, or you review an external contact who’s already added to your contact list, the presence icon is unavailable (it appears dimmed), and Presence Unknown is displayed.
- External contacts can’t join Skype for Business Online meetings. When the external contact receives a Skype for Business Online meeting invitation and then clicks Join Online Meeting, the user receives an error message that states that the person doesn’t have permission to join the meeting, and the connection fails.
The first step to resolve issues that affect Skype for Business Online is to scope the issue appropriately. The following table will help determine what the most likely cause of the issue is, depending on the type and number of contacts that are affected.
Type and number of external contacts One external contact Multiple external contacts All external contacts External Lync contact Permissions issue between contacts Permissions issue between domains External Communications disabled or Federation SRV record missing Public IM contact (Microsoft Messenger, Skype) Permissions issue between contacts Contacts not added in correct format External Communications for PIC disabled or Federation SRV record missing
These issues occur because external communications in Skype for Business Online may be turned off or incorrectly configured. Or, if the external contact is a member of another Lync Server or Office Communications Server organization, external access may also be configured incorrectly.
Note Federation with Skype isn’t supported at this time. However, external contacts who have Microsoft accounts can log on to the Skype client instead of to Microsoft Messenger. Federation with Microsoft accounts is still supported, whether the external contacts use Microsoft Messenger or the Skype client. After an external contact who has a Microsoft account logs into Skype, the user will no longer be able to use video conferencing.
Still need help? Go to Microsoft Community.
Article ID: 2392146 — Last Review: 16 Dec 2016 — Revision: 1
Skype for Business Online
www.office.com/setup, office setup, microsoft office setup, office setup help, install office setup, office…www.office-setup-help.com
www.office.com/setup, office setup, microsoft office setup, office setup help, install office setup, office…www.office-setup-help.us
www.office.com/setup, office setup, microsoft office setup, office setup help, install office setup, office…www.oofficee.com
Originally published at www.office.com/setup.