How cross department collaboration helped us discover the real problem of our campaign

Alejandra Porta
Jul 26, 2017 · 4 min read

Cname Campaign- Case Study| Onboarding Emails

Back in April of 2015, we started a brand new team here at Unbounce. We had the opportunity to discuss how we wanted to work. The main goal of the team was to convince evaluators of our tool to see the value the tool in their first 60 days.

The Team

Our team consists of 3 people. Justin Tsang, Marketing Strategist, Jennifer Pepper, Content Strategist and me the Design Lead.

Image for post
Image for post
JT, Jen, and I

The Problem:

As part of our new onboarding track, we needed to run a campaign resulting in 20 self-serve, marketing team Evaluators becoming Engaged (that wouldn’t have become so otherwise).

Image for post
Image for post
Engaged = 2 pages published and 1 custom domain setup.

Our Process:

User experience was always at the top of our minds, and Google had recently launched the Google Sprint Book, so we decided to experiment and use it for our first campaign. It completely changed the way our marketing campaigns will work and it was also the most fun, the most I have learned, and the best team I have been in here at Unbounce. So ran a modified 5-day slam based on Jake Knapp’s Google Venture’s model.

The slam includes:

  • Research (2 days)
  • Experts Consults (in where we interviewed Jonas Director of CS) and discovered that one of the main problems that customers have is setting up their cname, this was a key moment, as we pivoted the direction of our campaign, into building a resource where customers could have everything they need in one place to set-up their cname
  • Independent ideation
Image for post
Image for post
Graph to represent how we modified the 5 day sprint
Image for post
Image for post
Our independent ideation

The last 2 days of the slam were for:

  • Prototyping (I created a wireframe of our initial information design for the campaign)
Image for post
Image for post
  • Usability testingWe made time to user test our prototype internally. Internally is better than no test at all, ideally is always better to get people from your target audience or real clients, but in this case we were in a time crunch.
Image for post
Image for post

What we learned from our usability tests:

  • To save time we individually re-watched all the videos, and wrote down all the feedback
  • We grouped together points that came up many times to prioritize our critical fixes.
  • We ended up with a campaign focused on getting evaluators to add their domains…

Implemented Hotjar:

We noticed that people were not going to the end of the page. So we decided to to add a sticky nav. In case you already know why you need to add a custom domain you can skip through the how, and go straight to step 1, 2 and 3. We also added a call to action above the fold and a arrow that says read more. Made the icons smaller for the why add your domain section, which reduced that size of that section a bit.

Image for post
Image for post
Screen shot of implementing hotjar

Results:

CS uses this page all the time as it was the result of our first Slam to increase the number of Evaluators who add a domain. Overall, we exceeded our campaign goal with just the initial campaign we ran, getting 30 people to add their domain. You can see the final landing page here.

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store