8 Terrible Things That Happened In The 3rd Week Of April.
- The Sinking of the Titanic: On April 15th, 1912, the Titanic collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic Ocean, resulting in the death of 1,500 passengers and crew, making it the deadliest maritime disaster in modern history.
2. The Oklahoma City Bombing: On April 19th, 1995, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols planted bombs in the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. The blast killed 168 people and injured more than 680 others.
3. The Columbine High School Massacre: On April 20th, 1999, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold marched into Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, and initiated a shooting rampage that left 12 students and 1 teacher dead.
4. The Virginia Tech Massacre: On April 16th, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, committed what remains as the biggest mass shooting in US history, killing 32 people and wounding 17 others.
5. The BP Oil Spill: On April 20th, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and sunk, causing oil to gush into the Gulf of Mexico. The leak lasted 87 days, and caused extreme damage to native marine habitats.
6. Adolf Hitler was born: On April 20th, 1889, Klara Hitler gave birth to a baby boy, whom she named Adolf. Adolf Hitler would become the leader of the Nazi Party, initiating World War 11 and the Holocaust.
7. The Branch Davidian Massacre in Waco, Texas: On April 19th, 1993, the FBI led a siege against the Branch Davidians, a religious cult that was suspected of weapons violations. In an attempt to force the Davidians out of the Mount Carmel Center ranch, the FBI initiated a tear-gas assault, accidentally causing a fire that engulfed the ranch and killed 76 people.
8. The Boston Marathon Bombing: On April 15th, 2013, Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev placed two pressure cooker bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The two bombs detonated, killing three and injuring 264 others.