At Align, we believe that well-governed organisations do better. Well-governed organisations are more financially sustainable, better focused on their mission, and more connected with the interests of key stakeholders. Well-governed organisations do better and thereby do better for the community.
Over the next few weeks, Align will be walking through our model for good board governance. We believe that there are five areas that boards need to focus on:
• Strategy – identifying the direction for the organisation, what value will it create and for who
• Stewardship – ensuring that the assets entrusted to the organisation are properly cared for with strong financial and internal controls and oversight
• Risk – ensuring the key risks of the organisation are well understood and carefully chosen to support the organisation’s strategy
• People – ensuring the right people are in place with the right supports, in particular the chief executive officer or the executive director
• Governance – ensuring the board itself is up for the challenge it has with the right people with the right skills doing the right work
In the midst of doing its work, it can be hard for a board to find the time to take a step back and make sure its doing the best it can. Board members are volunteers with demanding professional and personal lives. And we know that not every non-profit has the money or time to do a full-blown governance review. But ever organisation can use a set of eyes to take a look at what you’re doing and recommend some changes to help you be even better.
That’s why Align is launching the Governance Checkup. We’ll observe a board meeting, review your board’s policies, survey your board, and meet with key members of your board and management team. Based on what we learn about you and our principles for good governance, we’ll provide you with a set of actionable recommendations to help you be a better board. Fast and simple, a governance checkup will help your organisation succeed.
Discounted rates are available for small or start up organisations working for social change, whether a non-profit, cooperative, or social enterprise. If you want to know more, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.