Trigger Events + Lead Intelligence = An Ideal Way a Sales Rep Should Prospect Using their CRM.
BUT- this does not exist…
We recently went through a territory update at my company. I used to own up to 200 employees in my territory. So any company who had less than 200 employees in my list of zip codes that fell under my territory, I could work. We recently segmented our sales team into 2 groups. This change helped me to realize how important systems that scan your database are to helping sales reps prioritize leads.
One group is selling to companies under 25 employees in size and one group (my group) is selling to companies with over 26 employees but less than 200 employees.
I can’t stop thinking about how to solve this problem and I am hoping for feedback from other people in sales who feel this way or have been through this.
I want to hear how you approach it and how you are trying to fix it or did fix this.
My list of demands for an ideal world as a sales rep…
- At HubSpot we have the fortunate problem of having lots and lots of inbound leads in our database/CRM.
I know poor you, Ali. We don’t feel bad for you. But, you should! Because one day you get there and you will wonder how to solve this problem too. I also can see how figuring this problem out early on as a startup or new company would be valuable for future growth.
A rep in really any sales segment of the business has access to work a lot of different leads. There in lies the problem or the opportunity. Depending on how one looks at it…
As a rep of a company where we have been in business for over 10 years we have thousands and thousands of leads —actually, millions of leads/domains in our database. There is a lot of data in there on those leads and accounts that have been accumulated over time. There are domains/URLs that have been worked in the past with updates on the activity records. There is information logged on the description of the account or lead. There is inbound data intelligence from our own software.
All of this information and intelligence is SO WONDERFUL and so amazing and SO helpful for sales and marketing.
I know there are companies out there that don’t have any lead intelligence on when companies are interacting with their marketing presence. I love what HubSpot solves for and I know lead intelligence is helpful.
BUT, there is something missing for companies that want to assess the lead intelligence along with other growth indicators to figure out which companies you should be working that will find your product: timely and helpful.
2. Over time you learn that lead intelligence is helpful but so are growth indicators and triggers.
You want to combine those 2 things together to be the best sales rep ever.
Lead intelligence (marketing intelligence from a system like HubSpot) + Triggers/growth indicators that matter for what you sell, Should in an ideal world = timely, relevant leads at the top of your CRM everyday for you to work.
Tools I use today to do this manually:
- @twitter lists
- @linkedin Sales Navigator
- @google alerts
- @sidekick by HubSpot
- Subscribing to company’s newsletters and blogs
- Probably others that I can’t remember right now…
If I happen to do all this correctly or the way that I really would want to in an ideal world it is all still manual. I have to go into many different websites/tools to pull all of this information every time I work a domain.
WHY WHY DO I NEED ALL THIS?
Because sales has changed and if you aren’t already bought into that then you shouldn’t be reading this.
Every time you reach out to a company that you want to prospect you should know why you are reaching out and why you think that you can help based on your research.
I want to be the best, most helpful, most timely sales rep there is.
Every time I find a reason that I want to reach out to a company that I am working I have to make a note of that trigger/growth indicator on the record in my CRM which is SFDC. That helps, sure.
But the problem with all of this is that there is NO ONE PLACE where I can see all of these things scanned across my database/SFDC records in my territory.
I want a system or software to scan my whole territory in my SFDC and look for things that would mean a company could potentially find what we do valuable and helpful at that moment.
I want the software to be smart enough to look at the following things and tell me how to prioritize my prospecting based on these things:
- Any company in CRM with zip codes in my territory, under 200 employees, but larger than 26 employees (pull that from linkedin).
- The system should check leads, accounts in my name AS WELL as leads and accounts that are not in my name but in the CRM. They could be in an open queue, unworked queue, recycled queue- whatever you call it.
- Then the system should recognize certain triggers and growth indicators that I as a sales rep in my specific territory care about.
- It should work through all those domains and URLs and pick up on smart things that I should know.
- When I login to my SFDC everyday there should be all of that information there for me to look at and prioritize my day from.
- I should be able to use different boolean logic to create my lists and create my personalized criteria that I want the software to scan in my CRM.
Does any software do this? If you do please tell me. If you are close please tell me. Is this something that other sales reps would find helpful and valuable?