29) The Bible, The Bhavagad Gita, Buddha, The Koran, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, are all the same book.
Please don’t make statements like 29), 45), and 48).
The Bible is the greatest piece of literature to ever exist. 66 books, 40 authors on 3 different continents. All of them pointing to Jesus Christ.
There are four factors to determine document reliability:**
- Manuscript Evidence: There are ~5600 copies of the New Testament, written 50AD — 100AD with the earliest copy available ~125AD.
Sir Frederic Kenyon, Director and principal librarian of the British museum, foremost expert on ancient manuscripts:
“The interval between the dates of original composition (of the N.T.) and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible and the foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed; both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the N.T. may be regarded as firmly established.”
Compare with the #2 runner up: Homer’s The Illiad and The Odyssey, which were written ~800 B.C. with the earliest copies ~500 B.C. Only ~600 copies are available. There is no comparison to the New Testament manuscripts in all of ancient literature.
2. Internal Consistency: There is no piece of literature by any religion to present the amount of fulfilled prophecies as the Bible. Click here for a full list, here is one simple example:
In approximately 700 BC, the prophet Micah named the tiny village of Bethlehem as the birthplace of Israel’s Messiah (Micah 5:2). The fulfillment of this prophecy in the birth of Christ is one of the most widely known and widely celebrated facts in history.
There are no contradictions leading to mass confusion.
3. Archaeological accuracy: This is self-evident; if any falsehood existed in the locations or people mentioned in the Bible, they would have been discovered by now. Jesus was born in Bethlehem, not Atlantis. He died in Cavalry and was buried in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, not in the land of Oz.
4. Literary Style: The New Testament is not written as a poem, myth, or epic story. It is historical narrative. Just like a CNN eyewitness report, it stateswhere the eyewitness was, who was there, what they said and what they did.
All the apostles died horrible deaths for what they claim to have seen, not believed: a risen Jesus Christ. Christians were persecuted for 280 years until Constantine made it tolerable (see what Nero did to these Christians).
Investigate the claims of Jesus Christ. Read any of the 4 historical documents:Matthew, Mark, Luke and John(my favorite). Read them as eyewitness reports and determine for yourself if Jesus Christ is highly ethical,trustworthy and reliable. If He is not, forget about it. If He is, put your faith in Him and accept His desire for a personal relationship! Go to a local church and drill the pastor with all your questions.
Congratulations for coming this far. You are someone who loves themselves enough to search for truth. If Heaven really existed, wouldn’t it be worth the time to investigate it?
May God richly bless you, as you make this most important decision!